SOLVED:Shares only showing ~45 GB on fresh install (A7, F19)

br0wnserver

SOLVED:Shares only showing ~45 GB on fresh install (A7, F19)

Postby br0wnserver » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:42 am

I just finished installing A7 using this guide (https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Amahi_7_full_DVD) after installing F19 using the guide mentioned before. Everything is working fine, I have installed the Greyhole UI, owncloud 6, Plex, and OpenVPN with no issues.

I am migrating from a very old machine that was running WHS, and I have a 2TB hard drive that still has the shares and other data from WHS on it. I would like to put this data into the 4TB hard drive installed in the new server, and then re-partition and add this 2TB drive to the pool. Because I installed Amahi the long(er) way, because I don't have a disk drive -I did it over USB- I still have the Fedora 19 GUI available, which I would like to keep because it is much easier for me to work in a desktop environment with a terminal, rather than a full on CLI.

The problem arose when I put the 2TB drive into a hot-swap drawer that I have installed in the disk drive, and mounted the NTFS drive. It mounted fine, and the drive is usable. I go to the old folder with movies on it, and go to copy it to the Movies share (oh ya, I followed this https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Mount_Shares_Locally to mount the shares), and it says there isn't enough space. I right click and go to properties and it claims that there is only about ~45 GB, which isn't right because it is a 4TB drive. I go to the HDA control panel, go to drive pools, and there are 3 options: The root, /home, and /var/tmp. /home is labeled as having 3.7TB free, and it is the only option checked. I go to the 'shares' option under drive pooling, and check all of the shares. I reboot the computer, but it still says there's only 45GB free. I go look at the location of the shares under 'shares' and they are the default /var/hda/files/etc.

I figured I would just add a "movies" folder in home, copy over the files, and change the location of the shares and it would work, but I am reading now that there is a lot more involved in getting the LZ moved and stuff. I am fairly new to linux, and brand new to greyhole, so any help would be greatly appreciated. The movie files are currently copying from the 2TB drive to the 4TB drive in the /home/movies folder, but I doubt they will show up correctly in the shares if I just change the location.

Any help would be excellent. Thanks.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Shares only showing ~45 GB on fresh install (A7, F19)

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:13 am

Hello,

The best thing when using such a large drive is to customize the size of the partitions during install. Having 3.7 TB in home is just not practical.

All the shares live in /var/hda/files which is part of the root partition. You have the following options in my opinion:
  • a. Start over and partition so that there the 3TB is left not used. You can then make it a new partition and locate the shares there via mounting /var/hda/files to that partition

b. You could try locating all the shares in /home and then point them to that location in the Dashboard shares path. It should work, but not the best design in my opinion.

c. Find a smaller drive to use for Amahi. Then use the 4TB drive as an additional drive to mount /var/hda/files for the shares.
There are options here. I myself would probably start over and then mount a 3TB partition for /var/hda/files. All the guidance to do these options are in the wiki with the exception of resizing /home. For that, I recommend you use gParted Live CD, boot to it and then resize the partition.

UPDATE: Not sure if this will be helpful, but thought I would pass it on.
https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Install_without_LVM
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

br0wnserver

Postby br0wnserver » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:41 am

After reading up more on the LZ and the way greyhole works, I found that it starts copying things from the LZ to an open space on a drive. It was telling me there wasn't enough space because the partition the LZ stays on is only about 45GB. I have it working now, copying ~44GB of files over at a time and letting it sync up. Probably not the best option, but I don't think I will ever have to deal with any files over 45GB, so this is more of a 1 time thing.

I really would prefer not to have to reinstall again being that I mistakenly installed to a flash drive thinking it would be faster. When it was a little laggy, I ran speed tests and I realized that it was literally 1/10 of the speed. I was having a lot of trouble getting the USB key that I was installing from to boot up correctly, and when I did and got Fedora installed, I had selected the "standard" partition option rather than the LMV. Without any other configuration that didn't work either obviously (thanks for the link if I decide to change things up in the future). I am running very short on time until I go back to school (server is at home, I go to college during the year) so I would rather have it at a working state before I leave and fix it if necessary over a break, rather than attempt to get it all fixed now and end up with it only half working.

I do appreciate the info though, this will probably come in use in the future if/when I decide to optimize the install.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:08 pm

Understand. You approach makes sense and given your time constraints, the most viable option. We are always happy to help users where we can.

Hopefully the remaining set up/configuration will less painful.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2