CLOSED: Simultaneous Issues; MediaWiki (cookies) & HDA Down

galoisienne2

Re: Simultaneous Issues; MediaWiki (cookies) & HDA Down

Postby galoisienne2 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:09 pm

Finally getting around to running GParted. I read the instructions in wikihow. Thanks for that. Very helpful.

GParted is also (like cfdisk from a few days ago) showing those three partitions: 2 small (one of which is tiny) and one large. But, just like cfdisk, GParted is only allowing me to delete the large one. The delete trashcan in the Gparted menu is not active (grey) for the other two small partitions.

Could I just format the large (currently NTFS partition) to ext4 and leave the other two small ones alone. Not that I can do much with the small ones anywaY: most if not all of the menu options (not just delete) are greyed out.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

p.s. Two observations:
(1) Under both the Partition column (that's the first column GParted show) and File System column (the one that usually lists the format type; e.g. NTFS or ext4, etc) the two small partitions are listed as "unallocated"
(2) Above I mentioned that for these two partitions, "mot if not all the menu options" are disabled. However, there is one menu option that is active: the button labeled "new" . When I hover over the new button, the following is elaborated: "Create a new partition in the selected unallocated space".

Could it be that I just create to new partitions here. That this space, which is listed in the list of partitions, is not really a partition. I could just ignore these, or, maybe create a partition in these spaces, and -- if I manage to do that -- simply delete from there ?

galoisienne2

Postby galoisienne2 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:23 am

Well, I formatted each of the three partitions as ext4. Then I deleted them all. At least gparted showed them as deleted. Then I added a single large .ext4 partition. Then I dropped off of GParted and I reconnected and logged onto the server. Curious to see what cfdisk would show now. Here it is. Still showing 3 things in the cfdisk listing, but the other two are very tiny. SO I think I should be able to proceed with this and access the large partition to do what I need, no ? I've also mounted it and Linfo confirms that as shown.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-01-16 at 11.38.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-01-16 at 11.38.33 AM.png (33.17 KiB) Viewed 6305 times
Screen Shot 2015-01-16 at 11.24.39 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-01-16 at 11.24.39 AM.png (33.05 KiB) Viewed 6310 times

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:35 am

Did you apply changes for delete before creating the new partition?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

galoisienne2

Postby galoisienne2 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:09 am

Yes. When I was running the Live version of GParted I hit apply every time I set up to perform a particular operation. But I was never able to remove those two--at least from the listing shown in CFdisk. But in Gparted the deletions appeared to happen: in Gparted, where I did all the work, it shows only a single partition.

At this very moment I am planning to create a subdirectories within the new drive into which I will move the data held in the current shares (which reside on sda drive).

I am creating subdirectory names -- one for each share (movies, books, etc).
The subsequent steps will be:
copy the files to those subdirectories.
work on the desktop to create new shares pointing to these subdirectories.
test to see if it works
delete and remove the files from the old directories.

I think that's correct, but please let me know if I'm making an error in my steps.

Thanks

PS what follows below is a photo showing that at present all the shares are crowding up my main (sda) drive, particularly the logical partition sda6. (I think it's logical because I read that logical partitions in linux receive numbers from 5 and up).
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-01-17 at 10.34.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-01-17 at 10.34.05 AM.png (57.32 KiB) Viewed 6287 times

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:20 am

Ok.

Save yourself some time and just copy.move the directories from /var/hda/files for the shares to the new drive. Then no need to create any directories on that drive.

Once you have them all in place, you will need to update the path in the HDA dashboard for each share. Once you verify all is working well, you can delete the directories from the original shares in /var/hda/files on the other drive.

Make sense?

EDIT: Ensure you use the appropriate options on the copy command to copy over permissions as well. I believe it's

Code: Select all

cp -p
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

galoisienne2

Postby galoisienne2 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:24 am

Think so. Thanks. Apart from the copy aspect with needing to create new directories, which I'll do now, I think those are the same steps I was contemplating, so I think I understand. Thanks

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:31 am

No problem. Lets close this thread and if you have further issues, start a new one. You can always supply a link to this one if needed.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

galoisienne2

Postby galoisienne2 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:02 am

Ok. Will do. Thanks