CLOSED: Simultaneous Issues; MediaWiki (cookies) & HDA Down

galoisienne2

Re: Simultaneous Issues; MediaWiki (cookies) & HDA Down

Postby galoisienne2 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:27 pm

Got it regarding question 2.

OK. I think I understand:

Of course, I suppose since I'm using the LiveCd to remove those stubborn partitions, I guess I could just hook the USB drive to any old laptop with a CD and just run GParted from there. I'd remove the partitions, and perhaps create a new one.

Then, I'd format using GParted as ext3 and ext4.

Just in case, and since I'm currently more comfortable using cfdisk. I suppose it's possible for me to use GParted to delete all the partitions, and then use CFdisk to do everything else (i.e., create a single partition and then format as ext3/4).
Last edited by galoisienne2 on Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

galoisienne2

Postby galoisienne2 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:33 pm

I just remembered that the wiki says just launch GParted from the command line. Which brings me full circle to what you said above: that I need to be logged into the server. So perhaps I'm still a little confused about the mechanics.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:45 pm

GParted will not work from the command line unless you have a Gnome desktop installed. Those instructions were written when Amahi was on Fedora 14 which has a desktop by default.

Boot the Live CD on the server. You will need to have a keyboard, mouse, and monitor connected.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

galoisienne2

Postby galoisienne2 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:34 pm

GParted will not work from the command line unless you have a Gnome desktop installed. Those instructions were written when Amahi was on Fedora 14 which has a desktop by default.

Boot the Live CD on the server. You will need to have a keyboard, mouse, and monitor connected.
I loaded the DVD and restarted the server laptop. It booted as usual with the prompt to log in. The DVD player turned on and whirled away a few times (light on etc) as the server loaded thru the moment of the log in prompt. But that's it. This is the same DVD player I used to install Amahi (several times).

Didn;t know what else to do so I tried invoking gparted with command line prompt (via sudo), but received the response: "(gpartedbin:1178): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: " [I know this is not the way to load it, but again, tried it when I had no idea what else to do.]

I tried looking at the DVD using another machine and the DVD is labeled GParted-CDLive (or something like that) as an iso image. Pretty sure that part worked.

Not sure what else to do, but it doesn't seem to be picking up the LIveCD for some reason. Again, the DVD player does run when I reboot., and I've used this DVD player to install Amahi/Fedora 19.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:45 pm

Didn;t know what else to do so I tried invoking gparted with command line prompt (via sudo), but received the response: "(gpartedbin:1178): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: " [I know this is not the way to load it, but again, tried it when I had no idea what else to do.]
Could be a compatibility issue with your hardware. I have never had problems getting GParted to work. It should start a GUI by default, not command prompt.

Maybe try a Fedora or Ubuntu Live CD. Boot up and use the disk manager in there to do the partitioning and formatting. You are using a CD I presume and not DVD, correct? Those images do not require a DVD. Are you using an application that burns ISO images? When looking at the CD contents, it should not be an ISO.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

galoisienne2

Postby galoisienne2 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:52 pm

Could be a compatibility issue with your hardware. I have never had problems getting GParted to work. It should start a GUI by default, not command prompt.

Maybe try a Fedora or Ubuntu Live CD. Boot up and use the disk manager in there to do the partitioning and formatting. You are using a CD I presume and not DVD, correct? Those images do not require a DVD. Are you using an application that burns ISO images? When looking at the CD contents, it should not be an ISO.
Yes. I learned that hard way (in installing Amahi) that I needed to use the "disk utility" that comes with the Mac in order to burn .iso files.

It is definitely an ISO image that I burned via disk utility and just now when looking at the contents it shows a directory tree with contents in listed subdirectories.

However, I don't have any writeable CDs, just writeable DVDs. Could that be the problem ? I used a DVD when installing Amahi/Fedora.

Here's an image of the DVD:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-01-13 at 10.55.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-01-13 at 10.55.48 PM.png (60.5 KiB) Viewed 5431 times

galoisienne2

Postby galoisienne2 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:36 pm

At least one issue appears to be the boot order. In the bios/system options I believe I moved the boot order such that the DVD player is invoked last (I did that a long time ago, when I first had the server up and running. I didn't want the DVD player whizzing around every time I rebooted).

According to the GParted instructions (see link), they want first DVD player, then USB drive, then main drive.

Upon doing that the light blue GParted screen came up. It also had a count-down. Not sure what that was for (presumably for allowing one to bypass GParted and move on to booting up Amahi ? I let it count down though and it began a process which appeared to be something live setting up an operating system. At any rate, I was able to bring up the server again, and no problem).

So would the idea be to set up the boot order as they recommend. Or should it be DVD player, then main drive, the USB ?

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/display- ... aring-bios

On thing I can't see easily as I read the instructions is how to get from the blue LiveCD screen to the partition editor.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:37 am

This is personal preference for the BIOS setting. Were you able to get the disk formatted?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

galoisienne2

Postby galoisienne2 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:55 am

Will do later today now that I discovered that running the DVD first does the trick in booting LiveCD.

Ended with some confusion late last reading the online Gparted LiveCD manuals (actually the directions link to two different manuals).

BasicaIly I didn't see a clear explanation of how to get FROM the LiveCD screen that you see when you boot up TO running the partition software. The GParted instructions say this: Start Gparted from the "Applications Menu" by selecting "Choose System Tools → GParted Partition Editor." But I don’t see anything like that on the blue liveCD screen I see when I boot up. (Unfortunately, I am unable to upload a screen shot for some reason. Tried a bunch of times. But here's a link to the blue screen I see: (scroll down to the first blue screen). http://gparted.org/display-doc.php?name ... ive-manual)

Question 1: My guess is I will be able to get into the partition software menu once I go thru the prompts regarding setting up "key map", "language setting", etc. Basically, wonder if I'm in the right place. (my guess is I am, but first I have to answer the system's prompts about "key map", "language settings", etc.)

More importantly Question 2:. When LIveCD boots up I am NOT prompted to log into the server. I am purely running the LiveCD. Is this the correct situation? Just want to make sure. If so, is the mechanics as follows: FIRST- Run LiveCD (not connected to server). In particular: delete partitions; create a new singe partition, format it ext3 or ext4. FINALLY- jump out of Gparted and log onto server to mount the drive. Is that right ?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:17 am

You will find help on using GParted on the internet.
http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Gparted
More importantly Question 2:. When LIveCD boots up I am NOT prompted to log into the server. I am purely running the LiveCD. Is this the correct situation? Just want to make sure. If so, is the mechanics as follows: FIRST- Run LiveCD (not connected to server). In particular: delete partitions; create a new singe partition, format it ext3 or ext4. FINALLY- jump out of Gparted and log onto server to mount the drive. Is that right ?
Yes you are running the Live CD OS, not the HDA. All hard drives are accessible. The steps you listed are correct.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager