Video streaming

timcart

Video streaming

Postby timcart » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:08 am

I have managed to connect my laptop to my TV and to watch videos from sites such as BBC iPlayer. Now I would like to get my Amahi HDA server in on the act, so that my laptop does not have to be connected to the TV for the entire time that the video is running.

My HDA is running on an old Toshiba laptop, which has VGA and audio outputs (but not HDMI).

So is it as simple as (1) connecting the TV to the HDA using the VGA/audio cables, (2) installing an appropriate app (e.g. Serviio) on the server, and then (3) pointing the server to the relevant website? Or do I need some additional hardware to connect the TV to the server and the network?

My current server is running headless at the moment? Is there a case for re-installing it with a GUI, if I am going to be doing a lot of internet streaming?

Thanks and regards.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Video streaming

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:12 pm

Not sure if you would need a special video card or not. Would depend on what your TV has for input jacks.

I would think it would be easier to acquire a DVD or BluRay player that can access a DLNA server. Then install that app and stream movies from the HDA to the player without having the TV and computer in the same room. Shoot, might even be able to use something like a Roku.

I am sure there are endless possibilities. Just depends how simple or complicated you want it to become.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2