Two HDAs

timcart

Two HDAs

Postby timcart » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:28 am

I have one HDA up and running. Can I create another HDA on the same account, without deleting the existing HDA? If so, how do I do that?

Or do I need to create an entirely new account and create the second HDA there?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Two HDAs

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:40 am

Should be a link on the left side of the screen that says "Start building a new HDA".

Each user is ONLY authorized one account and two HDAs for free. For multiple, a subscription plan is required.

BTW, you can only run 1 HDA per network. If you run two, they will conflict. While the wiki does include guidance for running 2 on a network, it is untested and unsupported for Amahi 7.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

timcart

Postby timcart » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:10 am

Thanks a million for the quick reply!

Yes, I found the "Start Building a New HDA" link. I just wanted to confirm that creating a new HDA will not delete the existing HDA, and that I will be able to continue to use both the new and the old HDA (on different networks, of course).

As an alternative, is it feasible to move the existing server hardware and software to another location? The situation is that I have two homes, one that I use in the winter and one that I use in the summer. Each home has its own internet connection, its own modem and wifi router (one ISP is a cable company and the other is a telephone company), its own connected computers, its own NAS, its own TV, etc. My existing Amahi HDA is installed on an old laptop using Ubuntu; so taking it with me when I move from one place to the other is not a problem.

But is it as simple as just moving the server back and forth with me and connecting it to the network at each location? What is the best way of doing this?

Thanks again for your assistance. Regards.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:30 am

Yes creating a second HDA will not disable the first one.

As for maintaining them at separate locations, that will work fine as well. You could have an HDA at each location running at the same time since they would be on different networks. I would prefer that solution vs moving the hardware back and forth myself.

If you do choose to move the hardware between locations, as long as you use the same subnet at both locations you should be fine (i.e. 192.168.1.x). If you keep separate hardware, recommend you make them different, i.e. one 192.168.1.x and the other 192.168.0.x that way they there is no possible conflicts.

Does that make sense?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

timcart

Postby timcart » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:49 am

Thanks. Yes, that makes perfect sense. I think I might try the single-server solution, at least initially, while I get the hang of it.

I take it that once created, an Amahi HDA cannot be "configured" to suit a diferent network. Rather it is the network has to be configured to suit the HDA.

I have another question but it is about video streaming; so I'll start a new thread.

Regards.

timcart

Postby timcart » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:31 pm

Sorry, one more question. . . .

If I decide to upgrade the hardware that is running my current HDA, is it OK in that case to re-use the original install code?

Specifically, the server hardware will change but it will run on the same network and use the same router and gateway as the current hardware. The current hardware will be retired and will no longer be used as a server.

Thanks and regards.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:35 pm

Yes that is fine, as long as the network details (gateway, IP address, etc) are the same. You may be able to reuse your current install.

See this guide in the wiki.
https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Post-I ... re_Changes
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager