How to I add a disk that already has data on it?

rapp

How to I add a disk that already has data on it?

Postby rapp » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:52 pm

I am a newbie to Amahi, just coming over from Windows Home Server 2011. I have two 1TB disks (NTFS) that I would like to add to the Amahi server. They already contain data and I would like not to lose that data or have to copy/transfer it if possible. Is there a way to add the drive to the server and have the data just "show up"?

Thank you!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: How to I add a disk that already has data on it?

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:03 pm

Follow the guidance in the wiki.
https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Adding ... o_your_HDA

You can create a share in the Amahi Dashboard and point it to that location. Or you can copy from that drive to the existing shares. It's a user preference as to which you do.

The wiki is our source of info for Amahi. Recommend if you look there for guidance as it covers most topics. Anything you can't find, you can ask about here in the forums.

You might search the forums to see if someone has already asked the same question or solved a similar problem should you experience one.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

rapp

Postby rapp » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:04 pm

Guessing that this isn't for Amahi 7, as Greyhole is not in Amahi 7 (yet) and the instructions are for adding it to a Greyhole storage pool. I can deal with holding off on Greyhole until it is added as part of Amahi 7, but I DO need additional storage space other than what is available on the main system hard disk.

Here is my current drive setup:
One 150GB system drive
Two 1TB Storage drives. (Shows up but is not available for storage)

Here's where I am: I physically installed two 1TB hard disks into the case, plugged it in, rebooted Amahi. They show up in Setup>Disks>Devices, but they do not show any partitions available. Is there not a way to simply add an additional hard drive and then use it to make a new share to it? No greyhole, no pooling.. just two simple disks that are available to use for storage.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:02 pm

The guidance I pointed you to in the wiki is it. That's the process for adding drives to the OS with Amahi 7.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2