WOW! well done

lou1z

WOW! well done

Postby lou1z » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:12 am

Well, i have to say i'm impressed. outstandingly easy to install etc with a simple interface etc.
i'm very familiar with linux (centos, debian & a little fedora) and most windows for my work. this is a cracking competitor to windows home server and so simple to use.
we all know things have been going this way for years and i honestly believe that there will be terabytes of storage in most peoples homes (via a home server) within the next decade. nas boxes are taking off but i don't think much people realise that they are a cut down pc and with a bit of thought, you can have better than a nas box for half the price.
will i use it? (its currently under an esxi vm for evaluation)
well, my house has 6 slimdevices so slimserver will go in there for a start. cracking bits of kit they are. jinzora is next and is exposed to the net so i'll have to look at how to tighten things up. open avl (formerly adito.... sslexplorer) has been my favourite tool for years so this ones gotta go in and then you only need 443 open to the world.
the others i will try but i will certainly be showing my friends this and recommending it. the only one thing i can say against it is...... i'm not sure where the developers are going with the likes of sugar, vtiger etc as these are business apps. i've yet got to see somebody running vtiger from home!

rampage537

Re: WOW! well done

Postby rampage537 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:26 am

Thanks for the feedback lou1z. Most of the apps are geared for personal or SOHO usage so we are trying to package towards those groups. As you evaluate Amahi please give us your feebback both good and bad, your likes and dislikes.
Testmaster Manager
Amahi HDA Custom Dual 2.7 GHz, 3 GB DDR2 (667MHz) Ram, 80GB HDD for OS + 1TB and 320GB HDD for Share Drives

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:16 pm

hi lou1z, thanks for the kind words. (would love to get a testimonial for the amahi testimonials page if you feel like making it official!)

wowk, 6 slimdevices - nice. the install of the slimserver was fairly easy, but if you find we can tweak it to make it more user friendly, it's be great to know.

adito is in beta. it is working for some testers - for others it does not work well (32b vs 64b java suspected). working things out.
(you can be a beta tester and help out iron out the details too).
the only one thing i can say against it is...... i'm not sure where the developers are going with the likes of sugar, vtiger etc as these are business apps. i've yet got to see somebody running vtiger from home!
some people have SOHO type of home networks (small office, home office). you don't have to install it. it has been suggested that we make these available as an "amahi pro" or such, perhaps with support, or something, as we need to consider ways to pay for the bills to keep the project running.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

lou1z

Postby lou1z » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:26 pm

no probs giving a testomonial. as for testing, i've got a bit on at the minute with an oracle project so haven't really got a lot of time. but over the next week or two, i'll certainly be having a closer look. themes are great too.