SOLVED: Just installed my HDA and have an issue with Plex

wlpaul4

SOLVED: Just installed my HDA and have an issue with Plex

Postby wlpaul4 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:48 am

I'm always thankful for a beginner and newbie section of a forum since I generally need it. Like the title said, I just installed my HDA (Ubuntu 12.04 lts & Amahi 7) this week and I'm having a problem with Plex.

I've installed the Plex Server app and for some reason it can't see any of the movies in my directory. It might be an issue that I would be better off addressing on Plex's forums, but since I'm also new to Linux I wanted to make sure I had everything set up properly with my HDA. I can see the files when I access the shares from any of my client computers, but when I run a scan for media with the app, it comes back with nothing.

If anyone reads this and needs more information about my setup in order to offer advice or a solution, let me know and I can provide it when I get from from work tonight.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Just installed my HDA and have an issue with Plex

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:38 am

Are you running Ubuntu or Fedora 19? Amahi 7 is not available on Ubuntu, so your opening statement is confusing. If you are using Fedora 19, Plex Media Server is still in testing and not LIVE yet. As a result, it may not be working correctly.

One possible suggestion would be to search the forums if you have not already. Seems like I have seen this problem before and it was resolved. I think it was a simple fix, but do not recall.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

wlpaul4

Postby wlpaul4 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:39 am

Are you running Ubuntu or Fedora 19? Amahi 7 is not available on Ubuntu, so your opening statement is confusing. If you are using Fedora 19, Plex Media Server is still in testing and not LIVE yet. As a result, it may not be working correctly.

One possible suggestion would be to search the forums if you have not already. Seems like I have seen this problem before and it was resolved. I think it was a simple fix, but do not recall.
You are, of course, correct. I had initially downloaded Amahi 7 Express and encountered some installation issues that led me to go a different route, but Amahi 7 still stuck in my head.

I did do a search, but didn't see any threads where the OP seemed to have the same problem. Another look never hurt anyone though. :)

ambient711

Postby ambient711 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:59 am

I believe this is kind of a known issue at this point with Plex.

Am I correct in assuming that you are using Greyhole?

If so there seems to be a issue finding movies that are mounted locally (e.g. /mnt/samba, this is also the default location for plex to look) , however you can simply direct the path to /var/hda/files/MovieFolderHere . Word of caution doing this though, I believe Plex has the capability to edit, create files, and destroy them, when creating under that path it can mess with Greyhole.

Admin feel free to correct me if I am wrong here.

Austin

bellamatt

Postby bellamatt » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:03 pm

pretty sure this is the same problem as other one posted earlier for squeezebox viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4895

You need to add the plex user to users group so it can access the shares:

sudo usermod -a -G users plex

Should be fine now assuming your shares are set to public access.

(will add to the wiki!)

ambient711

Postby ambient711 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:11 pm

Thanks for the update, trying now.

Is the user plex or plexms?

Thanks

Austin

Edit: Never mind you are right its plex

bellamatt

Re: SOLVED: Just installed my HDA and have an issue with Ple

Postby bellamatt » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:17 am

did it work re: access to shares? I have done it on mine and do have access, but I'm not 100% sure thats the only thing I did to get it working! It was a while ago.

bellamatt

Postby bellamatt » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:28 am

Also just had another thought - is it possible to bundle this fix with the app itself? I think the apps run startup scripts, should be a simple extra command (have never tried to package one myself). Basically I think that the same issue will affect any app in which a service is run by a special user that doesnt have "users" access, but needs to access files in locally mounted shares. On my HDA that covers plex, logitech media server (squeezebox), transmission, sabnzbd, couchpotato, sickbeard, headphones... probably others as well!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:56 am

Yes it is possible to add it for Amahi 7 apps. Not sure it affects as many apps as you stated though. I have not heard of any complaints with anything other than Plex and maybe Transmission. Since this probalby would affect Amahi 6 as well, I would have anticipated more reports of problems.

I may be wrong, but just don't recall seeing anything.

I will add it to Plex, but hold off on others until there are more details.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

ambient711

Postby ambient711 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:58 am

bellamat, no I did not get it to work with just the command. Any ideas?

Thanks

Austin