Confused about hard drive partitioning......

AustonnL

Confused about hard drive partitioning......

Postby AustonnL » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:14 am

Definitely a newb question, but I want to make sure I didn't mess anything up.

I installed my Amahi Server around 2 days ago and everything has been going ok. I finally have it up and running how I would like, I just think I may have screwed up the hard drive partitioning and I don't know how.

First thing is first, when I setup Amahi on the Express Install I didn't partition the drives how I wanted, I just let it automatically do it for me.

This is what it looks like..... I have a 2TB hard drive in it right now.

Total Free Used Mount Point
/dev/sda1 190 MB 116 MB 60.1 MB (35%) /boot
/dev/sda2 1.73 TB 1.65 TB 77.3 MB (1%) /home
/dev/sda6 41.7 GB 22.7 GB 16.9 GB (43%) /

I am sending all of my video, pictures, and other files to my /var/hda/files

Just want to make sure I am doing this correctly before I have a chance to mess it up anymore.

If I did mess it up any chance I can change it before it's too late!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Confused about hard drive partitioning......

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:53 am

I would recommend you configure partitioning during install. The /home being the biggest partition is not good. It wastes a big part of your drive. Would be better if you had a smaller drive for the OS and could use this drive as an extra for Greyhole.

There is some guidance in the wiki for partitioning that might help.
https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Install_without_LVM
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

AustonnL

Postby AustonnL » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:22 am

Thank you for such a quick reply!

I think I am just going to do a complete wipe of my current server setup, start over, and do this right. I don't have too much data on it, and I have it all backed up on my client PC, so I will be able to put it back on the server no problem.

Just to make sure I do this correctly though, after reading that article you posted, is this how it should all look?

Swap Partition = 1GB Memory Fixed
/boot mount = 500mb
/ mount , file system type Ext4 = Maximum Allowable Fillable Size (Root Partition)

so

Swap = 1gb
/boot = 500mb
/ = Maximum Allowable Fillable Size (Rest of Hard Drive)

I read on some other posts that some people made the Maximum Allowable after everything else point to /var/hda/files
Should I point it to that, or just keep it at (root) /........

trw3937

Postby trw3937 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:49 am

I would do a straight install to a small OS drive like BF said and after it's all installed reboot and add a second data drive at say /dev/sdb /mnt/datadrv where all data is kept seperate from the OS in case of disaster. I also do single large drive installs making var or home my giant partition for shares. I don't think many use a separate part for boot much anymore. Fwiw.

AustonnL

Postby AustonnL » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:01 am

I just want to make sure I am understanding this before I system wipe and do this all over....

I do have a 160gb drive just laying around that I could use as the OS drive....

So I should install the 160gb drive in the beginning and put everything on that during the installation.....

Then add my second drive to the server, and Greyhole the drive to storage pool.... and have that second drive be my main drive that points to my /var/hda/files? Or should I just have that second drive just mount to /var?

I guess I am just confused as to the formatting and how I should proceed with it...

As I see it I should have it be

160gb OS Drive:

-Install everything on this drive.

2TB File Drive:

-Add drive after install. Point this drive to /var/hda/files or /var
-If I storage pool do I even need to point this to /var/hda/files?

Does this sound right or somewhere close?

I am sorry if I am not making sense, first time user of Amahi and I just want to make sure my partitioning is good on this server setup.

Thank you again guys for all your help it is much appreciated.

trw3937

Postby trw3937 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:29 pm

I commend you for asking and doing your homework before installing. So many come into irc after they have done it all wacky.

I can't speak about greyhole because I dont use it. I'd install am7 with partiton defaults to the 160 so you have a running system up.

Then check the wiki for the adding a second drive (sry dont have link) and greyhole. Feel free to use irc #amahi in the evenings when cpg is there. Sometimes we have to refer users to #greyhole to get it setup the way you want it.