SOLVED: Failed Step 4 of Networking Troubleshooter

badunc

SOLVED: Failed Step 4 of Networking Troubleshooter

Postby badunc » Tue May 28, 2013 10:05 am

I've been using my server for several weeks now and have met my basic needs (SSH access, Greyhole drive pooling, CrashPlan backups from my other networked computers). Now I am adding apps but the DNS names aren't resolving (my home domain is duncan.net and the apps are resolving to a parked domain). I ran the troubleshooter and failed step 4. My results are stored here:
sprunge.us/YicV

I posted this is the newbie section because networking has always been my weak spot. :) I've been comfortable with all other aspects of the server but decided to seek expert assistance for networking! Note that I intend to use my router for DHCP for the foreseeable future. The other members of my household are technophobes and if I make changes to the infrastructure (and they fail) then I never hear the end of it. I want to ensure that the server is bulletproof before fully committing to it. Thanks!

prodriguezii

Re: Failed Step 4 of Networking Troubleshooter

Postby prodriguezii » Tue May 28, 2013 10:16 am

This is not the Amahi way, but my workaround for ths issue was to set up my domain as a non-standard Internet domain...such as amahi.home. That way there is no confusion wheh the DNS is choosing to go to a real Internet site or my home network. As "duncan" is a fairly common name, I would suggest you do something similar: perhaps duncan.home, duncan.amahi or duncan.hda?

badunc

Postby badunc » Tue May 28, 2013 10:27 am

I'm never above workarounds. :) Is this a parameter that can be changed after installation? If so, where does one change it?

prodriguezii

Postby prodriguezii » Tue May 28, 2013 10:43 am

Unfortunately, I believe the domain is baked into the install and the best way to go about it is to do a fresh install of Ubuntu and Amahi :|

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue May 28, 2013 2:36 pm

That is correct, but the domain chosen is not the issue. DNS is not working correctly for some reason. I have used existing and non existing domains before without a problem. Need to find out why the DNS is not working.

Might check that your router is set to use the HDA for DHCP and DNS services. This could be part of the problem.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

badunc

Postby badunc » Tue May 28, 2013 5:22 pm

I neglected to mention that I'm using OpenDNS for my DNS server. The one supplied by my broadband provider was slow and sketchy and I forgot that I switched to OpenDNS. It's likely that is playing a role because I've had problems with some wireless devices needing a wireless IP after making the switch. I never spent much time troubleshooting it because making it a fixed IP "fixed" the problem. Would using the HDA for DNS and DHCP help all the above?

Here are my current router settings (removing the things that may be personally identifiable - using my limited knowledge):

Connection Type: DHCP Client
Cable Status : Connected
Network Status : Established
StreamEngine : Disabled
MAC Address :
IP Address : 67.190.233.20
Subnet Mask : 255.255.248.0
Default Gateway : 67.190.232.1
Primary DNS Server : 208.67.222.222
Secondary DNS Server : 208.67.220.220
Advanced DNS : Disabled

The DNS servers are supplied by OpenDNS. The default address of 192.168.0.10 is *not* reserved in the router. The range for DHCP begins with *.100 so I assumed that .10 would not be reassigned.

I checked the IPV4 settings for the HDA and it was using the DNS servers from OpenDNS. I assume that I put those in at installation time but I honestly can't remember. I changed it to DHCP and now nothing will resolve with the DNS server! I will change it back to the previous settings.

If some kind soul wants to help me straighten out both the router and HDA settings then that would be greatly appreciated. If not and a re-install is best, then the appropriate router (D-Link DIR-655) and HDA settings for installation (using the HDA for DHCP and DNS is fine at this point) would also be awesome.
Last edited by badunc on Tue May 28, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue May 28, 2013 5:43 pm

Always best to use HDA for both.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

badunc

Postby badunc » Wed May 29, 2013 6:44 am

Can someone point me in the direction of what the generic HDA network settings should be? I've managed to dork them up. I know how to turn off DHCP in the router (and remove traces of OpenDNS) but I want to ensure the HDA is set up correctly. I supposed I could do a reinstall, but I have many gigabytes of backup data that I'd prefer to leave as-is.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed May 29, 2013 8:24 am

Unless you changed values for DNS on the HDA, everything should be fine. You may need to reset your network to get all pieces working as designed.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

badunc

Postby badunc » Wed May 29, 2013 12:13 pm

Now it's suddenly working. Weird. I'm just going to enjoy it and worry about the root causes later. Thanks for the assist!