Owncloud on virtual box

hayub

Owncloud on virtual box

Postby hayub » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:18 am

I am testing out amahi server on virtual box on windows vista before taking the plunge and setting up a dedicated server.

My current setup of amahi on virtual box is in bridge mode. The network is setup as home.com. However my workgroup for my home network is HOME. I have installed owncloud as well. My router is serving the IP addresses and amahi is fixed on 192.168.1.98. I am able to access the amahi dashboard from outside the network using my dynamic dns address from amahi.

However when I try to click on owncloud shortcut on the amahi dashboard it takes me to an internet site home.com not the owncloud log in page. If i use the firefox installed within the virtual box then all is fine (my base is ubuntu 12.04 LTS).

I can also access the amahi desktop from all networked devices by typing in hda/ in the browser. Clicking the owncloud shortcut still takes me the internet site.

Any advice would be helpful. I am OK with windows but have minimal or no experience with linux. Amahi seemed a painless way of setting up a server so I thought I might try it out.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Owncloud on virtual box

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:47 am

You need to follow this guidance:

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Hosting_a_website

Note that only one web app can be exposed at a time outside your network unless you use the Amahi Web Apps Proxy app.

https://www.amahi.org/apps/amahi-web-apps-proxy
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

hayub

Postby hayub » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:24 am

thank you for the prompt reply and advice. I got to access ajax explorer and owncloud using web apps proxy. However it wasn't as I thought it might be. I had to use the the web address username.yourhda.com/?reset. Clicking on the links of owncloud and ajax then worked.

Is this how it will work in a dedicated server or is it peculiar to the setup of my virtual box? I thought, from owncloud web site that access was direct by typing in a url. i.e. owncloud.username.yourhda.com or something similar.

Lastly If if bought some apps i.e. openvpn servers etc and test them on virtual box. Will I be able to transfer them to a dedicated server later or pay for them again.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:18 am

Is this how it will work in a dedicated server or is it peculiar to the setup of my virtual box? I thought, from owncloud web site that access was direct by typing in a url. i.e. owncloud.username.yourhda.com or something similar.
You are correct in using http://username.yourhda.com to access it. Best to follow the guidance in the wiki regarding ownCloud. It contains more of the Amahi specific pieces. Their web site is for typical server installs and Amahi is not your typical server in how it's web server functions.
Lastly If if bought some apps i.e. openvpn servers etc and test them on virtual box. Will I be able to transfer them to a dedicated server later or pay for them again.
Once you buy them, they are yours for life.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2