Stability Questions -- does it work for you?

genel

Stability Questions -- does it work for you?

Postby genel » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:49 am

I was adding drives to the storage pool on my prototype server machine last night and several times encountered the warning that "This feature is under heavy development". This did not make me feel good.

I develop software for a living and I know someone has to use it first, so I am often good to try unstable stuff. But the finial system I want to build is intended to hold data files that are very important to me (and more importantly, to my wife). So, I would like some real feed back about how stable this stuff is, particularly greyhole.

I should probably say I got to the point of building a new server due to a raid controller dying. Fortunately, I had set it for raid 1 and my data was intact (the most important stuff was backed up as well), I realized that the default Raid 0 would have left me with two large drives full of ... nothing. So, I am feeling a little cautious right now. Greyhole looks like a good solution to the problem, offering disk pooling and redundant copies; I particularly like the fact that the disks are a standard format that I can take out and put in another machine and recover if needed.

So, what are your experiences: has greyhole or some other part of Amahi eaten your data? Have you had to recover from a drive crash? Did it work? Was it easy?

For the developers (if they are willing), would you trust your most important files to this system?

Thanks to anyone willing to answer.

Gene

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Stability Questions -- does it work for you?

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:57 am

I have been using Amahi an Greyhole for a few years with no issues. I have 3 drives in my storage pool and set to max copies for all my data files.

The only issue I have heard about is when the OS drive crashes. Fortunately, replacing it, adding the drives back to the storage pool, and running Greyhole returned everything to normal for me.

It's understandable about being cautious about the warning, but obsess over it. Like any OS and software, things can always go wrong. There is no 100% guarantee. Someone always finds a way to break things.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2