Should I do not 'ANY' update of ubuntu??

rednwhite

Should I do not 'ANY' update of ubuntu??

Postby rednwhite » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:41 pm

I just install ubuntu 12.04.1 and amahi.

Amahi does not recommand instaling of ubuntu package by manually.

But there is plenty of updates of ubuntu,including "important security" updates...

Should I use amahi without security updates??

either Can I update ubuntu without any collapse of amahi?

Another qeustion...

How can I access a file in amahi sever.

I could connect amahi dashboard with other computer within same network.
But I donot know how can I access a file....

Thanks for your attention!!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Should I do not 'ANY' update of ubuntu??

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:05 pm

Its your server, so you can update it if you choose. We just don't recommend updates prior to Amahi install primarily.

As for access files, depends on the client. For Windows, you can access if via \\hda in the File Explorer. Recommend you check out the wiki as you will find a lot of useful hints and guidance for using your HDA.

http://wiki.amahi.org
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

BlackSmith

Postby BlackSmith » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:19 pm

FWIW, after getting Amahi installed and the shares built the way I wanted, I updated my ubuntu server completely. Still working well.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:30 pm

Good to hear and expected. The updates should not affect a working HDA. It's having them before install of Amahi that can cause problems. We built Amahi to work with what the CD installs and nothing more.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

rednwhite

Postby rednwhite » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:36 pm

Thanks for kindly explains!!!!!:)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

rkillcrazy

Postby rkillcrazy » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:37 pm

I just recently upgraded my HDA from Fedora 14 to Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS. I know there's no clean upgrade path; I just prefer Ubuntu and consider it an upgrade. ;)

At any rate, whenever I do Ubuntu installs, I tend to use the minimal CD - whether it's at work for our purposes or for my home needs. It goes out and pulls down the latest packages from the distros anyway. So, my HDA gets its updates before Amahi's packages get installed. For what it's worth, my HDA works fine - even though I installed the updates during the OS install - prior to the Amahi setup. I don't know what difference it makes per se` - if you update the OS after the Amahi install, the updates can still break the Amahi installation (or any other install). (I recall, years ago, doing an update and it broke the web server. I had to make symlinks so Apache2 would work again!) The way I see it, you might as well do all the work and potentially break the install before you do all the work of dropping all you data onto the server.
Amahi HDA:
  • MOBO: ASRock K10N78
  • CPU: AMD Athlon II 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+
  • RAM: 2-GB (dual-channel)
  • HDDs: WD20EARS (qty: 4)
HTPC:
  • Boxee Box
  • Popcorn Hour A-400