Go to my PC or Remote Desktop

lasersafe

Go to my PC or Remote Desktop

Postby lasersafe » Fri May 22, 2009 12:57 pm

I have DSL and they issue a dynamic IP address to my router. I assume it only changes after a power failure but is there something about the Amahi server that will now let me know the current IP address from a remote location? The end goal of course would be the ability to "tunnel" in securely to my home office PC (windows) using a Remote desktop connection. I could sure use some advice on this.... procedure, security, better methods, etc.

I have a little experience in tunneling from my home computer to a computer at work. (a govt laboratory) I know it must be pretty secure or they wouldn't allow it. When I log in, I first use Putty to check my credentials through some kind of server program. Once I am registered on that system I can simply launch the standard remote desktop program to get to my desktop at work.

Certainly this can be done in a similar fashion without having to subscribe to the pay site "gotomypc.com"

Thanks in advance

cpg
Administrator

Re: Go to my PC or Remote Desktop

Postby cpg » Sat May 23, 2009 1:12 pm

hi, this known as VPN - virtual private network.

when you install amahi, your system is pre-configured for VPN access from outside your network.

to use the desktop, then you can use something like VNC.

many people have their server headless (no screen/keyboard) and use VNC.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1