Dashboard partition size not matching disk sizes

ynnek63

Dashboard partition size not matching disk sizes

Postby ynnek63 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:08 pm

So I've setup a headless Amahi install using the Express CD, and just used all the defaults during the install. My system has 3 disks. One is a 160GB hd that the system is installed on and the other two disks are 2TB each. All drives are SATA Everything went fine during the install, but in the Amahi dashboard, the partition size is listed as 1.8TB. If I click on the disks link, all three drives are listed. What gives? Where is the other 1.8TB

These are my results when I use hda-diskmount:

Ignoring /dev/sda1 - already mounted
Ignoring /dev/sda1 - already in /etc/fstab as UUID=018e940e-dcc8-4f84-bb0b-4b75906f2484
Ignoring /dev/sdb1 - already mounted
Ignoring /dev/sdb1 - already in /etc/fstab as UUID=d6ec3b50-8241-4064-9b4e-ac6e4282e720
No usable Linux, Windows or Mac partitions found on your disks.

So, sda and sdb are showing up but no sdc.
sdc does show up on the dashboard. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Dashboard partition size not matching disk sizes

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:52 am

Did you follow the guidance in the wiki for adding a second hard drive? It appears that it is not mounted, therefore will not reflect as available storage.

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Adding_ ... o_your_HDA
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

spline

Postby spline » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:03 am

Hi,

strange. Showing a disk at the dashbord but not on the OS-Level couldn't be (ok, we're talking about hardware so everything is possible).
Does it shows up if you run blkid as root (su blkid) from the shell?

Have you manually edit yout fstab?
Be sure not to mount both drives (the 2 TB ones) on the same location!

And if you are wondering why a 2 TB drives shows up only as 1.8 TB.... That's marketing and nothing to worry about. It depends how you define a GByte and TByte.
1 GByte could be 1000 MByte or 1024 MByte. Depend on if you work in the marketing department or are a tekki ;-)

Regards

Juergen

ynnek63

Postby ynnek63 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:39 pm

Did you follow the guidance in the wiki for adding a second hard drive? It appears that it is not mounted, therefore will not reflect as available storage.

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Adding_ ... o_your_HDA
No, I haven't tried this yet. I do plan on it, but when I did the initial install, all three drives were connected and showed up during the install.

I may actually do a reinstall since I really haven't really started putting the server to use.

Hi,

strange. Showing a disk at the dashbord but not on the OS-Level couldn't be (ok, we're talking about hardware so everything is possible).
Does it shows up if you run blkid as root (su blkid) from the shell?

Have you manually edit yout fstab?
Be sure not to mount both drives (the 2 TB ones) on the same location!

And if you are wondering why a 2 TB drives shows up only as 1.8 TB.... That's marketing and nothing to worry about. It depends how you define a GByte and TByte.
1 GByte could be 1000 MByte or 1024 MByte. Depend on if you work in the marketing department or are a tekki ;-)

Regards

Juergen

Here is the out put from blkid:

[root@localhost ~]# blkid
/dev/sda1: UUID="018e940e-dcc8-4f84-bb0b-4b75906f2484" TYPE="ext3"
/dev/sdb1: UUID="d6ec3b50-8241-4064-9b4e-ac6e4282e720" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sdc1: UUID="3ec83e36-f62d-4dcb-a2a2-4f86e300fd27" TYPE="swap"
[root@localhost ~]#

LOL!!! WTF?! I just noticed that it is using my whole 2TB drive as the swap!!!! A 2 TB swap!!! lol!! Well, that solves that problem!! jeeeze....feeling really stupid now! :oops: :oops: :oops:

That's what I get for using defaults during the install and not paying attention!

My humble apologies for wasting your time, but also great thanks because we did solve my issue!
Please overlook my noobness. :D

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:22 pm

Yes that does solve the problem. It is best to install the OS and Amahi with only one drive connected. Add the other two afterwards and run the hda-diskmount script. This will ensure they are added as you desire for storage.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

spline

Postby spline » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:04 pm

Hi,
My humble apologies for wasting your time, but also great thanks because we did solve my issue!

Helping other people to get problems solved is never a waste of time!
That's what we are here for.
Helping each other

Best regards

Juergen