How do I get to the GUI Desktop after install?

abacus21

How do I get to the GUI Desktop after install?

Postby abacus21 » Wed May 30, 2012 8:25 am

Hello,

I am stuck. I loaded Fedora 14 from an iso disk on the Amahi page link. That process seemed to go well. But I don't know how to get to the menu to start adding apps and playing with the reborn computer. Here is what comes up after booting up:

Fedora release 14 (Laughlin)
Kernel 2.6.35.14-106.fc14.i686.PAE on an i686 (tty1)

new-host-2 login:

NOW WHAT?!

I have no idea what to do next. Please help.

Abacus21, Philadelphia

spline

Re: How do I get to the GUI Desktop after install?

Postby spline » Wed May 30, 2012 10:27 am

Hi,

i guess something went wrong during your installation or you deselect the graphich desktop.
In normal cases (trust me: I installed AMAHI 10 times or more) a Desktop should come up.

Did you provide a user and a password during intallation?
You could also try to access your HDA from a remote computer via the webgui.

Hope this helps

Juergen

abacus21

Postby abacus21 » Wed May 30, 2012 12:12 pm

Juergen,

You are my hero for getting a post reply the same day I'm delighted there is such a family community for the various flavors of Linux. So thank you, I made the commitment learn how to "do home servers" and I'm treading water in the deep end having dove in head first.

So, here is what I've heard you say in your reply.

1) Reboot from the disk and verify that it is not something on the install.

2) Access my HDA (I've learned that means Amahi Linux operating system) from a remote computer via the webgui. Okay. now to break that down a little, I do not know how to "remote in" and I do not know where to get started with a "webgui." I figure once I understand the webgui part of it, I can look up how to then remote in. If you have a link or two that would be great.

3A) New option, get a link for a new install disk. The one I used was Amahi-6.1-Express-v1-i386.iso from http://dl.amahi.org/isos/Amahi-6.1-Expr ... so.torrent

What I could try is Fedora-15-i386-DVD.torrent listed as Fedora 15 i386 DVD

3B) Or do I want a different boot iso image? I have a former windows XP SP2 32bit sony viao desktop. Maybe I'm choosing the wrong version of boot disk for my computer type. (I think I choose a 32 bit Amahi operating system)

Well the one thing I did learn, there is a problem with the install. Okay then. Thanks. I hope to keep looking for a solution.

Abacus21, Philadelphia

spline

Postby spline » Thu May 31, 2012 5:24 am

Hi Abacus,

thanks for calling me a "hero" ;-) I'm not. I didn't save the world nor did something similar. I just want to try to help some people to get things done.

Ok, forget about Fedora 15. It's not supported right now. AMAHI will support Fedora 16 in a later point in time, but currently Fedora 14 is the system of choice.
Also don't use the Express CD.

There is a quite clear instruction on how to install the whole stuff.
Have a look on http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Main_Page.
You will find detailed installation instructions there.

It's quite straight forward if you follow the instructions.

Don't forget to "register" your machine at amahi.org. Here you will get a key which will do the rest of the installation.
Go to www.amahi.org and press the "get started now" button to sign up.

"Log in remote" means, that i thought your amahi hda is up and running bit did not show up the GUI. You can access your homeserver via Firefox, IE or whatever you want if everythink is up and running.
I suggest you read a little bit in the wiki to get an understanding how it (should) work.

Best regards from Munich / Germany

Juergen

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu May 31, 2012 5:49 am

Just to clarify, Amahi will not support Fedora 16. We are going to move on to Fedora 17 since it was just released.

For now as Spline indicated, Fedora 14 is the official Amahi version. We are diligently working to make Ubuntu 12.04 LTS our next release OS, followed by Fedora 17. No estimated time frame for either, but we will announce once we have one firmed up.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2