Before I go any further...

MightyMouth

Before I go any further...

Postby MightyMouth » Mon May 11, 2009 1:21 pm

I don't want to spend too much time trying to get Amahi to do what I want if its not the best tool for the job and I am finding it difficult to do what I thought would be easy.

Basically I wanted to use the machine as a home server for music and stuff and also host a small website. I have managed to get joomla installed and working but I cannot find any documentation how to set it up so that others can view the website using the dynamic DNS name. I just assumed that as joomla was an app that the webhosting setup would be easy.

Also I am concerned about security as maybe Amahi is not really designed to be secure in this way.

I have previously used Ubuntu to good effect for a small web server and media server but Amahi's excellent web interface is much better suited to a home server.

Any suggestions as how I should proceed?

bsk

Re: Before I go any further...

Postby bsk » Mon May 11, 2009 2:19 pm

Amahi is really only for an in network home server. Although you can set it up for a web server, even though it is not recommended if you do not know what your are doing because there are alot of ways to access your files when you make it viewable to the outside world.

Make sure you have a great firewall and even then, it might not be secure enough.

If your just starting out in the web world this is not recommended, shared hosting is the best way to go. You can get a cheap hosting plan and they handle all the security.

If you would like to see a good one just pm me or say so.

There is a way to do this, but im not that far yet haha.
Having problems with connecting to the internet? Try the Network Troubleshooter.

Not sure what your Gateway IP? Head on over to the Find Your Gateway IP page to find out easily.

MightyMouth

Postby MightyMouth » Tue May 12, 2009 1:45 am

That's what I suspected. I think I have the hardware for another small PC that I can use as a standalone web server that I can put in the DMZ and forget about.

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Tue May 12, 2009 3:13 am

Actually, if you are willing to host something on linux, be it amahi or ubuntu or whatever, the application you are going to be running (gallery, wordpress, whatever), if really the most critical part in terms of security.

Keeping that to the latest is most of the battle to being secure.

Making Amahi into a web server with the domain of your choice is a ONE LINE change to a configuration file.

I would not, however, make your Amahi HDA in the DMZ. I would put a simple firewall/router in there ($19 these days) and forward port 80 to the Amahi HDA.

This will be supported from the Amahi GUI in the future, btw, with zero line changes.

The change is as follows. Say you want to change gallery, which is an app already running:

Code: Select all

cd /etc/httpd/conf.d ls -l 10*gallery*.conf # you will probably have only one vi 10*gallery*.conf # then add ServerAlias YOUREXTERNAL.DOMAIN.COM # e.g. YOURID.yourhda.com
in fact, if you make YOUREXTERNAL.DOMAIN.COM a CNAME for YOURID.yourhda.com, it will always be correct, taking advantage of the dynamic dns aspect of it!
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1