CrashPlan Install

jknaebel

CrashPlan Install

Postby jknaebel » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:20 pm

Hello, my new HDA install is working well so far and meeting my needs - thanks for the great product.

I decided to purchase the CrashPlan option the other day but I am having trouble using it. My HDA is headless.

First - I noticed the app is still Beta, will this work in my free account or do I need to upgrade to one of the paid plans to use CrashPlan? I already paid for the app.

Second - I followed the setup wiki including the very last step called Troubleshooting (setting up the log) and I've followed the X-forwarding instruction for Windows FreeXer, Mac OS, and Linux (Ubuntu), but when I type CrashPlanDesktop in the terminal nothing happens except the terminal window will generate a new prompt. No error, no new window with the Desktop app, nothing, just a blinking cursor at the prompt waiting for me to type away. I've not used X-forwarding before so I'm not sure if it is problem with that aspect, or if CrashPlanDesktop is not installed properly. On my Mac, the X icon was in the app tray after I typed the ssh -X command.

Any guidance?

Thanks in advance,
Jay

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: CrashPlan Install

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:20 pm

PM me your username and I can give you access. If you already paid for the app, then giving you access should be all that is needed. All we ask in return is you give us feedback on how it works and any changes we need to make to the wiki for others.

Now, since you are headless, best way to install this might be using Amahi VNC (http://www/amahi.org/apps/vnc). By doing so, you should be able to see what is going on. You will also notice it works with headless installs.

I have not tried the x-forwarding stuff so the instructions might be outdated. If you decide to go the VNC route, check out the wiki guidance if you have problems.

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/VNC

Hope this helps.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

hemminger

Re: CrashPlan Install

Postby hemminger » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:33 pm

My favorite and I think the easiest way to do X-forwarding is to use Xming server on windows and then SSH 3.2.9 client which is free and you'll have to create a profile and then edit the profile. In edit mode put in the host your connecting to, aka your amahi server, and the user name. Then click on tunneling tab and at the bottom check mark the box that says to Tunnel X11 connections. That's it. When you click on the profile to connect you type in the CrashPlanDesktop command and you'll see a window pop up with the crash plan gui console. It'll take a bit to load.

The biggest thing is with the ssh command for mac is you have to forward the X11 session and connect so the command should look like "ssh -X username@hostname" this will create an ssh connection and forward the X11 display to your mac wich is already running X11.