iSCSI

zombu2

Re: iSCSI

Postby zombu2 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:12 pm

I have updated the ISCSI Wiki page on how to install and configure the target
It also includes a small script that loads and compiles the .tar

All you have to do is follow the howto and you should be up and running in less then 10 minutes

I will add a howto for win 7 to the page when i get home on how to use the iscsi initiator on win7

moredruid
Expert

Postby moredruid » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:58 am

Zombu: why did you remove the instructions I've written and replaced them with something a user must compile (which should not be necessary) _and_ create a dependency that must be maintained?

Furthermore you are creating a file that you are going to use as an exported iSCSI disk, therefore having 2 layers of block drivers accessing it (your server & your client). You have left instructions on editing a file but not on where that file is located.

Why not list an alternative method for people that don't want to know what's happening but at least leave the explanation for people to understand what they're doing.
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D2173656C7572206968616D41snlbxq' | dc
Galileo - HP Proliant ML110 G6 quad core Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x750GB RAID1 + 2x1TB RAID1 HDD

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:37 am

These are all good points. I have minimal knowledge (well none really) of iSCSI and agree that we need to ensure things are well explained.

Also, guidance for both methods can and should exist. We have done that with VNC server and many other tutorials. It would be beneficial to have multiple methods of how to implement iSCSI so users can choose which path they want to utilize. If there is something incorrect about the procedures, we should fix that as well.

There are many who will not want to add a REPO to their HDA, me being one of them. I want to know where files are coming from and cannot rely on a personal REPO being there. I would prefer to download files and then I can scan them myself. It's all about trust.

If possible, can we get this page updated so users have the choice? We also need to ensure guidance is specific so there is minimal chance of failure for those who choose to try it.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

moredruid
Expert

Postby moredruid » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:08 pm

I will edit the page tomorrow, I can get the history back (thank god the wiki keeps backups LOL).

What I will do is restore the page with the howto and add the semi-automated part below that. I'll rephrase the warning for the repo (I'll mention it is a personal repo, not maintained by the Amahi team).

I also think the script should not be on dropbox, it's small enough to be put on the page and have a user read/copy/paste it instead of downloading it. I'll copy & paste it from the dropbox source as it is, although I think it could be a bit more polished.

I'm sure it's all created with the best of intentions, but like bigfoot65 says: a lot of people don't want to use unknown/untrusted sources and a personal repo is one of those things. Especially in an environment like Amahi this can breach the users trust: Amahi automagically checks for updates so once installed the payload of the installed package can be changed to contain a rootkit or trojan. This may not even be done by the maintainer of the repo: if the repo is compromised by a hacker this could also happen. This could potentially damage the reputation of the project so that is why we're cautious with things like this.

@Zombu2: don't take this as a personal attack: we do appreciate your effort and contribution. Take this opportunity to reflect on the situation and learn from it - a wise man once said: even if you mean good, that doesn't mean that you do good (there are enough comedies exploiting that quote :))
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D2173656C7572206968616D41snlbxq' | dc
Galileo - HP Proliant ML110 G6 quad core Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x750GB RAID1 + 2x1TB RAID1 HDD

moredruid
Expert

Postby moredruid » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:45 am

Updated the wiki. I've kept the information Zombu2 posted with minor edits (mostly layout related). I've changed the warning at the repo part to a less dramatic one ;)

I noticed the install script has already been pulled, Zombu2 may add the code where it should belong.

rbmattis

Postby rbmattis » Wed May 30, 2012 3:52 pm

Not sure if this is the correct thread, but I'll ask anyway.

Currently, my HDA is an HP N36L with 4 2 TB hard drives in a RAID 5 array (the boot drive is a 30GB SSD). I like it, it's small, it sips power, and it's easy to work on. My only beef is that the CPU is a bit weak for things like transcoding, XBMC, and it has no GPU.

When the stable release of Amahi/Ubuntu comes out, I'm strongly considering building a superthin Amahi/HTPC running a low voltage Ivy Bridge (when they are released). I'm considering going for a SAN approach where the HDA/HTPC is the iSCSI initiator and the N36L is the iSCSI target (the N36L would probably run FreeNAS). Alternatively I could create a CIFS/NFS share on the N36L and map it on the HDA.

Either or they'd be connected by GigE. I'm guessing it is a complexity/performance trade off? iSCSI being fast, CIFS being simple?

thanks
rb