x32 or x64 on AMD Athlon II, memory reqs, usb install

stefan13

x32 or x64 on AMD Athlon II, memory reqs, usb install

Postby stefan13 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:38 pm

Just starting out with Amahi and Fedora with a brand new HP N36L Microserver.
It has a Dual Core AMD Athlon II NEO N36L 1.3GHz CPU.

I have been using Ubuntu Desktop for the last four years, but have not done much on a production server, so these are exciting times :)

Question: Which version of Fedora 14 and Amahi should I install, 32-bit or 64-bit?
If possible, I would install x64-bitness to do the system justice, however, would I miss out on certain apps or are they all supported under both architectures?
Anything else that is different between 32-bit and 64-bit installations that I should consider?

I intend to use the server for file serving, backups of Mac and Linux computers, home networking, music and possibly video streaming.
With that in mind, should I get myself more memory than the 1GB I currently have or should it be enough for now?

Some feedback: While I understand the reasoning behind it, I find it inconvenient not to be able to use USB for installation. Isn't this the way to go in the future? The server I bought does not even have a DVD drive as standard. Not a whinge, I just hope you guys are working on this, otherwise I hope you will :)

Thanks a bunch!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: x32 or x64 on AMD Athlon II, memory reqs, usb install

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:00 pm

I would go with 64-bit since you have the capability. As for install media, you can do a USB install as outlined in the wiki. However, we do not support that method.

The reason we do not focus on USB has to do with how Fedora install works. The full DVD is not positioned for USB install by Fedora. Only the Live CD and it does not contain the correct packages needed for Amahi. If Fedora one day makes a USB version, we would love to try it.

Most machines can boot DVD, but not many of the older ones can boot USB. The intent of Fedora and Amahi is to work with older machines as well as newer ones. Like I said, there is guidance in the wiki you are welcome to try for USB install. I have done it a few times and worked fine for me.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

stefan13

Postby stefan13 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:38 pm

It was the unsupported plastered everywhere that kinda put me off.
Dooes that mean only the installation is unsupported, but if I get it toogether, you guys may still help me out later when I get stuck? I like being suppported with what I do... ;)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:57 pm

Unsupported means if you have problems with the install, we do not typically offer help. Keep in mind that if you can install via DVD, that is the best option.

Its not any quicker using USB that I remember, just another medium to use. We still offer assistance with other aspects of Amahi.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

stefan13

Postby stefan13 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:38 am

Thanks for your help.
I just wanted to report the outcome here:
I installed using the live USB instructions on the Amahi Web page after all.
Making sure I use the Desktop environment of Fedora (not headless), I received only one error message during the Fed install about a greyhole file that could not be opened. However, clicking Retry resolved it.
Everything else went without a hitch and Fed and Amahi were installed and running in approximately two hours.
Happy Days. The easiest OS installation process I have ever followed :)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:55 am

Great to hear. HOpe you enjoy it.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager