Just Discovered Amahi

kamakazi20012

Just Discovered Amahi

Postby kamakazi20012 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:31 am

I just discovered Amahi, it's website and forum through a site called Webmonkey. I thought I would ask a few questions before I jump all the way into something. And I did view the FAQ but I just wanted to ask for verification purposes. I hope this is the right place to ask this sort of question...didn't see anywhere else to put it :D

Amahi does allow the 'uploading' and 'viewing' of HTML files, correct? (When setup of course). And can it be installed on a real server running dual processors? I didn't see this in FAQ (or don't remember seeing it). And I do use Ubuntu on one laptop and Windows 7 on another. I am working for my degree in web design and interactive media and thought that setting up my own home server would be a good way to test some sample projects and ideas. If Amahi can allow for me to pursue more development in the web and interactive media aspects then I'm all in. I would like to work on and test some online gaming ideas (within a home network) and I hope this is the OS I've been looking for. Windows is such a pain to try to work with when it comes to servers.

The server I'm looking into obtaining, for reference purposes, is a HP Proliant DL380 G4 with dual Xeon 3.2 GHz CPUs, 8GB DDR2 RAM, and 2 - 72 GB Hard Drives.

Glad to be a new member.

moredruid
Expert

Re: Just Discovered Amahi

Postby moredruid » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:19 am

First of all: welcome!

to answer your questions:
Amahi is not an OS. Amahi is a superset of applications especially packaged for ease of install and maintenance. It depends on Linux. Preferably Fedora, Ubuntu is in the works. So you could see Amahi as an "application that manages some basic application installation/maintenance/configuration functions" installed on Linux. Linux is installable on just about any hardware, wether it be single, dual, quad etc (we have a 64 core server running Linux here at work). An HP DL380 would be fine (although quite over the top for your initial needs I think). If you also would use it to compile your code then such a powerful machine would benefit you.

Amahi does allow the 'uploading' and 'viewing' of HTML files, correct?
Correct: http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Hosting_a_website
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D2173656C7572206968616D41snlbxq' | dc
Galileo - HP Proliant ML110 G6 quad core Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x750GB RAID1 + 2x1TB RAID1 HDD

sgtfoo

Re: Just Discovered Amahi

Postby sgtfoo » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:11 pm

As it has been said, Amahi is a web-server management system.
It ties into the OS to provide easier functionality of a Linux-based server.

If you're delving into web development, you will more than likely come across Linux as the platform of choice for open-sourcev(free) web-server software. WIth Amahi as your server management system and all the other functionality you can tie into Fedora (the Linux OS that Amahi runs on), it could be a very valuable way to learn how to manage a server and a web server.

If I were you, I would start using VIrtual Box to run a virtual machine or 2 on your Windows PC and see how familiar you can get with Fedora 14 or 16. That would be the best place to practice with web-dev servers, as exposing a home-server with all your files in it, without adequate security in place could be troublesome. Virtual-machines don't need hardware, so it's the cheapest way to see an OS before you implement it live.
SgtFoo
HDA: VM inside oVirt FX-8300 95w (2 cores for HDA), 32GB RAM (2GB for HDA)
My PC: FX-8300, 16GB RAM, 3x 1TB HDDs, Radeon HD6970 2GB video; Win10 Pro x64
Other: PC, Asus 1215n (LXLE), Debian openZFS server (3x(2x2tb) mirrors)
Modem&Network: Thomson DCM475; Asus RT-AC66U; HP 1800-24G switch