Stuck at Install and nowhere to go

Strata700

Stuck at Install and nowhere to go

Postby Strata700 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:44 am

I have used GPARTED to format 3 drives to bare metal with unformatted patitions and attempted to install Fedora 14 from DVD which I burnt as a full 3+ gig download in the expectation I would then install AMAHI after Fedora install.
My issue is : The dvd boots, intialises hardware but then asks me for an image directory which I cannot specify even after using F2 and telling it to search the DVD. is my issue the bare metal disks or something deeper in the bios of my machine ?
Bearing in mind I though I might have burnt the wrong ISO I re-burnt a full x64 bit iso to a fresh DVD and the issue remains the same.
I have also now re-formatted the discs with a boot , root, and sda3 partitons (ext4) on drive 1 and the other 2 x 2TB drives as single ext4 partitons (for the GREYHOLE pool later) and still can't get an install process running.
I know if it ain't broke dont fix it :oops: but need some install help here to get my server up and running again.
Thanks

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Stuck at Install and nowhere to go

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:49 am

For the OS drive, no need to format it or built the partitions. The install DVD will take care of that. I presume since you are using 64 bit DVD that you have a 64 bit system.

Is this new or old hardware? There could be incompatibilities with Fedora 14. Also, are you following the install instructions on the web site?

http://www.amahi.org/support/instructions

I would recommend you disconnect the 2 drives you want to use for Greyhole and add them back after you have installed Fedora and Amahi. It simplifies the install in my opinion.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Strata700

Postby Strata700 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:26 am

Thanks for the swift reply. I am following instructions and the hardware is not incompatible because the server was running on it since May this year. One disk has been removed only. This because it was going faulty and why I tashed the server to bare metal this week.
Please note that I dont even get to the screen welcoming me to Fedora which should happen after the statement 'waiting for hardware to intialize' so I can't do anything.
Is there a way I can load the software to SDA2 manually and install Fedora please ? I ask because I have been trying to get past this stage for several days with no success.
Thanks

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:05 pm

I am not aware of a way to do that, but I am no expert. Have you considered trying the Express CD install? It might work for you.

As I said, I would delete all partitions on the OS drive and disconnect the other two drives for install. Then verify you have a good DVD verifying the ISO via checksum.

Is it possible you have a bad DVD or DVD drive? I have never heard of this issue before. Recommend you check google.com for some help. Maybe someone else has had this issue and posted a solution.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Strata700

Postby Strata700 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:38 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I used the express 64bit cd and failed several times until I edited the update package information by changing the URL's for Amahi and Amahi-updates to the F14.amahi.org location, unticking the mirror and ensuring it was http instead of https. I now have a running server but not sure if I have all the functionality I should. As I am still learning (the hard way). It would be useful to know (if u can spare me the time) how I check that all AMAHI packages are installed and updated as applicable ?
Thanks again.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:44 pm

If as root user, you do yum update then it will prompt to install any packages that need updated. Amahi pushes updates automatically, so you would get them eventually.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

Strata700

Postby Strata700 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:32 am

Unfortunately the install may have had a glitch or two as when asking yum to update (as root) it replies that it ''cannot retrieve metalink for the repostiry 'Fedora' Please verify its path".....

Is that a yum config file problem or something more fundamental ? How do I rectify that please ?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:44 am

Could be loss of network connectivity. Hard to say what the cause could be.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager