Set Amahi as DNS server through Tomato

mooglinux

Set Amahi as DNS server through Tomato

Postby mooglinux » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:32 am

So i have a wrt54gl router running Tomato, and i have figured out how to disable DHCP just fine. However, i want to set Tomato to intercept all DNS requests and route them to amahi, so amahi can use openDNS (which it is sopposed to do by default).

Right now i have (under Advanced -> DHCP/DNS) unchecked 'use internal dns', and checked 'intercept DNS port'. And while openDNS is collecting statistics for my connection properly, it doesnt block internetbadguys.com and opendns.com/welcome tells me that i am not useing opendns.

I cannot even find the option to directly tell Tomato to use opendns, though i would rather use the amahi server in case i want to install squid later.

rjwaldren

Re: Set Amahi as DNS server through Tomato

Postby rjwaldren » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:50 pm

Are the client PC's getting there DCHP from the HDA? If they are then they should also be pointed to the HDA for DNS.

In tomato the "Intercept port 53" is used to prevent another DNS server behind the router from being used. It will intercept all traffic destined for port 53 (DNS) and rewrite the request to come from the router using the routers configured DNS servers.
Amahi 6.1 x86_64 ExpressCD - Intel D510MO, 2GB, Promise TX300
1x 500GB 2.5" WD Black (OS and LZ). Pool: 1x 1.5TB Samsung F2, 1x 1.5TB Samsung F3, 1x 2TB Samsung F4EG
Apps: uShare, uTorrent, Amahi Energy Saver

mikovitz

Re: Set Amahi as DNS server through Tomato

Postby mikovitz » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:20 am

I have Amahi running on a network with a router flashed with tomato.

You have 2 options for DNS:
1) Enter the IP address for your HDA as a static DNS entry on Basic->Network
Then in Advanced->DHCP/DNS, add

Code: Select all

strict-order
to the Dnsmasq custom configuration setting.
This will make your HDA the DNS server for your network.

or

2) If you like the internet being handled via your router and your HDA being responsible for the *.home.com domain:
Leave static DNS entry setting alone but on the Advanced->DHCP/DNS Dns masq seting enter:

Code: Select all

strict-order local-ttl=1 address=/home.com/<hda IP address>
where <hda IP address> is your IP address of the HDA