Web-App Help Please Help

ewilson620

Web-App Help Please Help

Postby ewilson620 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:47 pm

Okay guys I'm hoping you understand what I'm trying to do. Let me try to explain the direction I'm going. I'm setting up Amahi as a media server for me and my family to have access to my files anywhere everywhere. Now they are not know much about computer but turn it on access website surf face book ect. So talking about VPN ect. is out of there league. So what I want to do is setup the server and use the Domainname.yourhda.com as easy access.

So far I have gotta my Dynamic DNS (Nick.yourhda.com) to be access from outside of my network. Without using VPN. Me as ADMIN I'm able to see my Dashboard as if I'm at home. I also tested it under user that is not ADMIN they are able to see web apps.

Now here comes where I'm stuck.

Now once I've logged in under My user name I'm able to see my server and web apps. now when I click on one of the web apps that I've install lets say Jinzora it takes me to jinora.hda.lan. Which is my internal Home Domain which comes up when you are home or VPN. Now I've tried the WIKI for Hosting the web-app, when I do that it takes me to Jinzora web-app when I enter in Dynamic DNS (Nick.yourhda.com). This is what I do not want to happen. What I want is when My family member enter in my
Dynamic DNS (Nick.yourhda.com) it comes up asking for user/pass. they would then enter in there user name and password I've created for them. they would see all the web apps on the dashboard from there they can click and use the web apps such as Jinzora, calendar, so on

Please someone lead me in the right direction on how to complete this task.

Remember I've tried the WIKI in hosting Web-app.

livesonwater2632

Re: Web-App Help Please Help

Postby livesonwater2632 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:12 pm

If you haven't already done so, I'd take a look at Amahi Web-Apps Proxy. This allows you to connect to your HDA as if you were inside your network. Apparently it is still in alpha for the current release so you would need to become a tester to install that.

Your other option is to set up another dynamic dns address (like yourhda.com). I use dyndns.org and don't have any complaints. Basically you will need an address for each of the webapps you wish to host, and then use the wiki's instructions for setting each up.

guerilla

Re: Web-App Help Please Help

Postby guerilla » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:33 am

Assuming the people connecting to your network have little knowledge on computing etc. means that a little more work will be required to set this up. I am in similar situation and solved it (although it may not be the best solution) like this.

get a domain name (mine cost 2.99 for 2 years)
now for every web-app you wish them to access create a sub domain and point in to your server.
in the httpd conf file for your web-apps add the new ServerAlias (which will be the subdomain you made earlier)

now your family etc will be able to access your apps via whatever.yourdomian.com

to make it a bit easier you could do all of the above and then create a website on your hda (here's the wiki http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Hosting_a_website) and in the index.html you create simply have a list of the apps available on your server (you can check mine at guerillaunit.co.uk).

If you need more specific help I could knock up a few screens later.