VNC works / doesn't after reboot - Is it config or method ?

Strata700

VNC works / doesn't after reboot - Is it config or method ?

Postby Strata700 » Sat May 14, 2011 12:47 pm

Having just bought VNC Personal Edition for Windows (I am running Windows 7 (64Bit) and installed it on my Client I have followed the Wiki to configure VNC on my HDA using (Wiki Method 1). VNC works but after a deliberate reboot (to ensure I can use the server headless) it doesn't. Having read another post it seems method 2 from the WIKI should be used. Does this mean I have wasted my time following method 1 or have I stupidly made an error of some sort ?

aphex242

Re: VNC works / doesn't after reboot - Is it config or metho

Postby aphex242 » Sat May 14, 2011 2:21 pm

Make sure you still have a graphics card in the server.

I looked into this, you still need one, as it is the graphics card in the server rendering what is in the window on your VNC machine. Headless means no mouse/keyboard/monitor, but it doesn't mean no graphics card, from my research.

Not sure if this is your issue or not, but thought I'd try and help ;)

Strata700

Postby Strata700 » Sat May 14, 2011 2:49 pm

Make sure you still have a graphics card in the server.

I looked into this, you still need one, as it is the graphics card in the server rendering what is in the window on your VNC machine. Headless means no mouse/keyboard/monitor, but it doesn't mean no graphics card, from my research.

Not sure if this is your issue or not, but thought I'd try and help ;)
:oops: After digging around I found a Typo error in a config file in my home directory. missed a 'c' in 'vncconfig'

It now seems to be fine after restarting the service and after rebooting the machine.

Sorry for wasting your time.

aphex242

Postby aphex242 » Sat May 14, 2011 8:33 pm

Oh don't worry about it in the slightest, I waste a lot of people's time around here, just trying to give back. Glad you got it fixed!

paurey

Postby paurey » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:55 am

Hi

sorry to revive this topic, but I have exactly the same problem. I double checked for typos but didn't found any.

A questions for Strata700 what "vncconfig" file where you referring to? I don't see that the wiki makes reference to such a file in Method 1 (http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/VNC)

Thanks

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:42 am

Have you considered trying the Amahi one-click VNC app? It works well out of the box, not configuration needed.

The tutorials in the wiki might need updated, so hard to say if they are accurate. There is plenty of guidance on the internet for setting up VNC. You might check that out as well.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

jerryweygint

Postby jerryweygint » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:34 pm

I have a similar problem, in that I have a new installation of Ubunto/Amahi and selected the VNC application from the control panel and installed it. The control panel says that the server is running, but when I try to access my HDA from a Windows java client, it says that the connection was refused.

When I follow the link to the wiki included in one of the posts above, it ends up referencing a fedora install.

One thin that I can tell you is that when I go to /etc/sysconfig, there isn't the file listed that is referenced in the wiki.

This is a Server install, so I do not have a desktop environment installed... DO I need to do that before I try to VNC?

Thanks in advance for your help.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:39 pm

The link above is only for Fedora. Ubuntu link is:

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Install ... rver_12.04

As for the VNC client, what viewer app are you using? Did you follow the special instructions that indicate the login address is hda:4? The app special instructions also provides a default password.

If you installed Amahi VNC (http://www.amahi.org/apps/vnc), then it installed what is needed for the Server edition.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

paurey

Postby paurey » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:50 am

Have you considered trying the Amahi one-click VNC app? It works well out of the box, not configuration needed.

The tutorials in the wiki might need updated, so hard to say if they are accurate. There is plenty of guidance on the internet for setting up VNC. You might check that out as well.
Well thanks, but VNC actually works well after my manual installation following wiki instructions. It is just that the vnc server does not re-start automatically after the HDA is booted. I have to type in the console every time "vncserver " as user.

I don't want to surrender to the easy-quick option of the VNC app in the store, it is a matter of pride and learning.
The wiki says that typing "chkconfig vncserver on" solves this problem, but not in my case....and dont' know why. (I am using Fedora 14)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:58 am

Check the boot log to see if it's recognized. There could be an error causing it not to run on boot. There are alternatives to making it work as well.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager