Greypool - Can it use NAS or Samba?

luvmnky2

Greypool - Can it use NAS or Samba?

Postby luvmnky2 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:40 pm

I've been googling like crazy tonight and don't have an answer so far. I have this setup:

1. New (slightly older hardware, but handbuilt and can still run circles around most of the crap Dell puts out). This is now running Amachi, seems to be smooth, not reall glitches I haven't been able to bulldoze through with a good bit of self education.

2. I also have a WHS MediaSmart server. I have almost 4 TB of storage on that, and clearly don't want to dump all that. Ideally, at this point I'd like to use it as a glorified NAS, and let greypool add it as avaiable storage. So far it doesn't seem possible to convert the OS on the MediaSmart server to something else, and I simply don't have room in my existing PC case for 4 more hard drives. (I have ways of slowly offloading the data I THINK so nothing gets lost).

My question is, do I need to attempt something like like, or leave the WHS as a glorified NAS, and let greyhole use all that hard drive space?

My other thought was to just map the WHS directories to their equivalent on the WHS essentially giving you the same thing (I think?)

For example, map //hpserver/videos to /var/hda/files/movies

And so on..

sabat

Re: Greypool - Can it use NAS or Samba?

Postby sabat » Tue May 10, 2011 2:46 am

Greyhole initializes fairly early in the boot of amahi, I am assuming that it might be a problem due to the time it takes to mount a nas share, even on boot, so greyhole would see the drive a missing before it mounted.[I ran into something similar with cups and samba before, samba was sharing my printers before cups had added them, in otherwords it was sharing zero printers because they didn't exist yet.] I would guess this could be worked around by adding a sleep in somewhere... but could add to the boot time of the HDA