FILE ACCESS DENIED

dcwebster

FILE ACCESS DENIED

Postby dcwebster » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:14 pm

Hi everyone. I've been using my HDA for 1 year now and I'm loving it. One issue has consistently plagued me and I'm ready to give up.

One of my subfolders, within a parent folder e.g., (\\hda\parentfolder\subfolder) will not let me move or delete the files and subfolders within. I always receive the message "Cannot delete filename: access is denied" "Make sure the disc is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use"

I've tried modifying file attributes i.e, "archive" but haven't had any success fixing the issue. I can access/read/write/delete all other folders and subfolders on the HDA.

The only other piece of information I can provide is that these specific files were copied to the HDA from a data CD.

Please let me know if anyone has experienced this issue or has ideas for a solution.

Thanks!

Dave

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: FILE ACCESS DENIED

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:34 pm

Hello,

There are 2 things you need to check.

1. Ensure the permissions are set properly. From command line as root user, do:

chmod -R 755 parentfolder

This will change the permissions for all files and folders within the parentfolder.

2. Ensure the folder is owned by your user. You can check the other directories and they should be set correctly. To change the ownership, do:

chown -R username:username parentfolder

The ownership is usually your first admin user. If that does not work, then recommend you try rebooting your HDA. I have seen files get locked and a reboot typically corrects the issue.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

dcwebster

Postby dcwebster » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Beautiful. The sub folder was assigned to a different user. The chown command solved the problem. Many thanks for the quick response and instructions!

lou1z

Postby lou1z » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:04 pm

it's a common problem with samba as people tend to think the samba permissions are the be all and end all when in fact it's the underlying file permissions (not the samba permissions) that are giving them the issue.

bellamatt

Postby bellamatt » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:46 am

I just set up a HDA and had a few teething issues so far, but its slowly coming together. I thought i'd post here though as this thread bizarrely helped me setting up amahitunes. I had copied a disk full of music from an NTFS disk to a new ext4 partition at /var/files/music, but none of it was showing up. After quite a bit of troubleshooting I eventually figured out that music would show up if it was not in a subfolder, but didn't have a clue why this could be an issue. I tried the permissions commands in this thread, and problem was solved immediately. So thanks!