File System Check after Power Failure

malderon

File System Check after Power Failure

Postby malderon » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:20 pm

Hi everyone,

First I want to say that Amahi has been really wonderful since I started using it following the announcement that Vail (which I was waiting for) would not be including Drive Extender.

Today while I was out at work my home experienced a short power interuption (I know I should have a UPS!!!). On restarting my Amahi server I am greeted with:

An error occured during the file system check.
Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot when you leave the shell.
Give root password for maintenance.

Naturally I have done searches on this forum and also on google and have tried some things but nothing has worked so far.

The system has 3 500GB drives (one of which is partitioned into root, swap and the remainder in the storage pool), and 1 1TB drive, all of which are part of the storage pool.

I think the problem likes with /dev/sdd
When I run "blkid" which I found on a thread here everything looks fine except at the end

/dev/sdd: UUID=" SM-VM-?" TYPE ="ddf_raid_member"

This looks very different from the entrys for the other drives/partitions

When I run fdisk -l I see the correct information for /dev/sdd in terms of size etc.

Any help you could give would be much appreciated, I'm very new to amahi and relatively new to Linux so be gentle please.

rgmhtt

Re: File System Check after Power Failure

Postby rgmhtt » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:21 pm

You could have lost your boot sector or boot partition.

The Fedora mailing list is the best place to get detailed help.

The one time this happened to me, I had to reinstall. I was careful and did not reformat my data partitions and for the most part got things working.

If you put /var/files in its own partiton and /home for that matter, you CAN recover, but it can get dicey.

There are people on the Fedora list much more knwoing than me about this.;