Transfer Speed Expectations?

kiwibean

Transfer Speed Expectations?

Postby kiwibean » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:50 am

Complete Windows n00b here, looking to get going on Amahi after giving up on VailFail. The one thing I'm most curious about is what kind of transfer speeds I should expect using Greyhole.

Currently I have a Gigabit network with Windows 7 server and clients, and seem average in the 60 - 70 Mb/s range when transferring my +1GB MKV files. From some comments in other posts, it seems folks might only be getting ~11Mb/s with Amahi.

What should I reasonably expect transfer speeds to and from the Amahi server to be, when connected over a Gigabit network using Windows 7 clients? Will this vary depending on whether Greyhole is enabled?

As an aside, low transfer speeds in the ~11Mb/s range were a problem when I tried the current Windows 2003 based version of WHS. I only got the jump to 60 - 70 Mb/s when I gave up on WHS and moved to a Windows 7 based server instead -- while that's just a file server right now, i was hoping it would hold me over until Vail came out. So much for having faith in Microsoft

Thanks for any feedback!

sgtfoo

Re: Transfer Speed Expectations?

Postby sgtfoo » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:39 am

my setup has all cat5e wiring, with a gigabit router and all computers have gigabit NICs, and for some odd reason, while everything else in the network runs full blast, my transfer speeds for files to the server tend to vary between 10 and 40 MB/s (as reported by explorer, Win7pro x64). Reading from the server is always faster... ie: streaming from my amahi as a media server to my PS3, through 2 runs of 90ft of cat5e, is always smooth.

I blame my hard-drives and perhaps the "attic-before-storage" nature of greyhole... not that I have anything against greyhole really.
SgtFoo
HDA: VM inside oVirt FX-8300 95w (2 cores for HDA), 32GB RAM (2GB for HDA)
My PC: FX-8300, 16GB RAM, 3x 1TB HDDs, Radeon HD6970 2GB video; Win10 Pro x64
Other: PC, Asus 1215n (LXLE), Debian openZFS server (3x(2x2tb) mirrors)
Modem&Network: Thomson DCM475; Asus RT-AC66U; HP 1800-24G switch