workaround.. gnome login loop.. on to xfce

sgtfoo

workaround.. gnome login loop.. on to xfce

Postby sgtfoo » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:22 pm

So recently I did something (not sure what) and somehow got fedora stuck in the login screen. In order to use webVNC, there must be a VNCservers defined user logged in to the desktop.
I lost this somehow and first tried..

as root:

Code: Select all

yum remove gdm yum install gdm
which gave me the same issue: when booting into the desktop I at least got into the login, but after successfully entering the correct password I would be stuck in a login loop. It would just return to the login prompt.
It's worth noting that if I were to press [ctrl+shift+F2] (?) i could use the terminal to login and it would work fine. So it would seem to me that the gnome desktop somehow "forgot" how to procees past login.

I figured it's worth trying another environment in case tying back into everything else would still work.
Other forums and users seemed to have found a different environment came to their advantage.

I'm familiar with XFCE on my other laptop and it's my lightweight enviro of choice.
here's what i did..

as root...

yum remove gdm yum update yum groupinstall xfce // it could have been just .. yum install xfce yum update reboot
The update in between were just a hunch of mine that perhaps an update would solve any obsolescence issues or missing file issues.
So then after the reboot, it booted into xfce just fine and the login was working!

I double-checked all my user passwords from the control panel and made sure amahi's functionality was working.

The only issue that remained is that I still can't initiate VNC from webvnc. I get a user error when I

service vncservers status
and I had already modified what users are VNC-able.

At this point I'm stuck.
Any input?
SgtFoo
HDA: VM inside oVirt FX-8300 95w (2 cores for HDA), 32GB RAM (2GB for HDA)
My PC: FX-8300, 16GB RAM, 3x 1TB HDDs, Radeon HD6970 2GB video; Win10 Pro x64
Other: PC, Asus 1215n (LXLE), Debian openZFS server (3x(2x2tb) mirrors)
Modem&Network: Thomson DCM475; Asus RT-AC66U; HP 1800-24G switch

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: workaround.. gnome login loop.. on to xfce

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:57 am

Have you checked the wiki? The section on VNC there is pretty detailed. It seems we have had more issues with this since Fedora went to tigervnc. The WebVNC app was around in Fedora 10 and worked well.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

sgtfoo

Postby sgtfoo » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:25 pm

hmm... could someone with afunctional webvnc post a sample of the vncservers config file?

I may have the syntax wrong for multiple users/servers.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:32 pm

This might help http://stevejenkins.com/blog/2010/03/se ... -internet/. Google is your friend :)
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2