CLOSED: Use Existing Hard Drive and Data

kermtfrg

CLOSED: Use Existing Hard Drive and Data

Postby kermtfrg » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:11 am

I've installed Amahi and got it running and love it. Now I'm trying to get all of my music, photos and movies copied to it. I've got all of the movies on a 2TB external USB drive that is formatted as NTFS. Can I just plug the drive into the Amahi server and add it to the pool or do I need to move all of the files off of the drive and then format it using gparted and then copy the files back to it?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Use Existing Hard Drive and Data

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:34 am

You can add it without moving files. See http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Adding_ ... o_your_HDA for guidance. Once the drive is added and works on reboot, you can then add it to Greyhole.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

kermtfrg

Postby kermtfrg » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:58 am

Ok, I can see the drive but how do I get the movies that are on it into //hda/Movies ? I'm using Greypool right now so I want to fill up my movies share with the movies from this external drive while keeping them on that drive. I won't be creating extra copies of them.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:06 am

There are two ways to handle this. One is copy all the movies to the directory. The easier way is to mount the drive as instructed in the wiki to a particular share. I believe it is detailed enough that you should not have any problems.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

kermtfrg

Postby kermtfrg » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:40 am

I see the drive when I run hda-diskmount. It's mounted as sde1. I added the line to fstab so it connects every time.

I ran "mv /var/hda/files/movies /var/hda/files/drives/sde1"

In the web interface I see drive3 listed and checked it to be pooled (one problem i see here is the % is -369%, the free space is correct - 698GB , the total space is listed in negative bytes when it should be 1.81 TB)

The drive is listed under storage but has a :-( next to the drive name, not sure what this means.

On the windows computer I tried to go to \\hda\Movies and I couldn't access it. The share is visible and all users have permissions.

I browsed to /var/hda/files/ and don't see movies anymore. I then went to /var/hda/files/drives and see drive3 which has all of the files that are on the external usb drive.

Am I doing something wrong? Did I miss a step? What do I need to do to fix this so when I go to \\hda\movies I see the external USB drive and the movies that are on it.

Thanks!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:12 pm

Ya, I think you missed a step. Did you follow the part that said use the drive only for some shares? That is the best way to make that drive seen as movies. You would change fstab mount of that drive to be reflected as /var/hda/files/movies rather than sde1.

The way it sounds that you did it, the share is not recognized properly. Ensure you follow the wiki completely through.

I made my 1TB drive mount as /var/hda/files and all my shares are there now. That way if I need to upgrade, I only mess with the OS drive. Shares are left alone.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

micsimon

Postby micsimon » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:13 am

Can I also do that with the Disk Wizard - without using the console which I do not understand.

I also would like to see existing data on a mounted (USB drive). When I access the share/folder allocaet to the drive, I do not see any existing files.

Aren't you claiming Amahi is easy to use? As a beginner, I already spent 12 hours to set the server up and I still do not see existing data of my drives.

Thanks,
MS

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:11 am

Can I also do that with the Disk Wizard - without using the console which I do not understand.
Yes it should work.
Aren't you claiming Amahi is easy to use? As a beginner, I already spent 12 hours to set the server up and I still do not see existing data of my drives.
Don't see how this is relevant to your problem.

Adding additional drives is something considered advanced for Linux. Unlike Windows, drives are not plug-n-play with a headless server.

Happy to assist, but would appreciate if in future you started a new thread with your issue vs using an old one that is 5+ years old.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

micsimon

Postby micsimon » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:10 pm

Thanks and got it. After a few hours and rebooting several times it now seems to work :D

Best,
MS

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:53 pm

Glad you got it sorted out.

Closing this thread.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager