New and non-technical

scywin

New and non-technical

Postby scywin » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:04 am

I wish to set up a server in my home, but have no familiarity with either Amahi or Linux. Currently I have Windows Vista laptops and a Windows Home Server running in my home, and some spare computers to experiment with or to test a new product.

Windows Home Server seems to have a few bugs. I'd like to try out Amahi, but have a few questions:

1) How can I get the product onto a bootable disk without wiping out whatever is on the existing hard disk? The website looks like it is going to take me straight to an install, not a download. I ultimately want to install on a brand new hard disk.

2) Given the windows background, what choices should I make during the install, e.g. desktop environment, etc.?

3) Applications that I would like to try on the server once installed seem to come as RPM files. I am not familiar with these. How do I install from an RPM file from a CD? Does something launch that is comparable to Installshield, or is there a set of steps I need to perform?

If this is all covered elsewhere I apologize for the duplicate questions. A pointer to prior discussions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

cpg
Administrator

Re: New and non-technical

Postby cpg » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:24 am

1) How can I get the product onto a bootable disk without wiping out whatever is on the existing hard disk? The website looks like it is going to take me straight to an install, not a download. I ultimately want to install on a brand new hard disk.
you have to install Fedora (install 9, what we support at the moment). you have to partition the way you want it. i am not sure if it let's you reorganize and shrink partitions.

otherwise you can use partition magic, or gparted (via a live CD for fedora or ubuntu).
2) Given the windows background, what choices should I make during the install, e.g. desktop environment, etc.?
whatever you like. Amahi is meant so be run headless, so you may or may not want to use the desktop.

if you do, the default (called gnome) is fine.
3) Applications that I would like to try on the server once installed seem to come as RPM files. I am not familiar with these. How do I install from an RPM file from a CD? Does something launch that is comparable to Installshield, or is there a set of steps I need to perform?
just go to my apps and install apps.

with the alpha of the platform you can also install apps off the web with a single click (again - alpha, not released out of the box yet). we have a link in the IRC channel, so only more "bleeding edge" users get it.

amahi is definitely not as slick as WHS, it's open source and community supported. and we're still in beta. this is not meant to discourage you, but rather understand you can help improve it first hand!
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1