Amahi Server fails to start

simonp

Amahi Server fails to start

Postby simonp » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:54 am

Due to various reasons my faithful Fedora 9 based Amahi server had been switched off whilst some house work was being done. I switched it on the other day just to see things were ok and it booted fine.
I then went to boot it today with the intention of grabbing my files off it to upgrade to the newest version but it get to the bit where it says starting Demon Hal and for a few minutes it will sit blinking cursor then a page full of text comes up with various file not found type of things and finally I get the Local host Login prompt even trying the correct info I get no GUI

Ive taken some photos to see if any boffins can spot my problem

thanks

cpg
Administrator

Re: Amahi Server fails to start

Postby cpg » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:52 pm

well, you can try this. somehow mount that drive and partition (rescue cd, live cd, some other distro - whatever) and cd to the root of the partition, then

Code: Select all

mkdir -p var/lock/subsys
and try that - however, that is just a sign that there probably is more trouble with that file system.
possible drive trouble?

seems to fsck ok ... which is nice.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

simonp

Re: Amahi Server fails to start

Postby simonp » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:34 pm

well after much faffing about it turns out the hard drive is dead, it has ceased to be, it is no longer a hard drive. Not to worry there was nothing crucial on it, that was on another server I had set up in raid 5 and it decided to throw a fit with one of the drives going too , two hard drives in a week . Right off to read about setting up the new Amahi version on a raid setup :)