replaced video card

sanchehl

replaced video card

Postby sanchehl » Wed May 05, 2010 10:02 am

Hello all.
This weekend i had to replace my video card on my Amahi server.
At first, X windows would not start. I was was able to get it started again after installing new nvidia drivers. i followed this procedure incase anyone is wondering. http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=204752
However, i can only run the desktop at 640x480. i've tried to manually set the xorg.conf display modes to 1024x768 manually, i reset the config to a new config, but nothing is working. i'm obviously missing something or not doing something right.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to configure higher resolutions when the control panels only show 640x480 or lower?

sanchehl

Re: replaced video card - SOLVED

Postby sanchehl » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:07 am

In case anyone runs into this problem, i was able to fix it myself. Apparently, the Nvidia proprietary drivers aren't very good at detecting some monitors and their capabilities. To fix it, all I had to do is edit my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and add or modify the following section.

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "CRT-0"
HorizSync 31.0 - 96.0
VertRefresh 55.0 - 160.0
EndSection

The key is to find the refresh rates for whatever monitor you have. once i put the vertical and horizontal max values in for my monitor, the Nvidia Display settings allowed for all kinds of resolutions. i had to do this in Ubuntu also after updating the video driver on another computer.