How does my HDa update?

tmb

How does my HDa update?

Postby tmb » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:40 am

First off, thanks to the devs for all their hard work. So far, I am liking this system over the Ebox setup I previously had. I think I've talked to a few of you in IRC already and you've answered my questions in a friendly manner.

However, after looking around the forums and (I think) a good search of the wiki, I've yet to come across just how my HDA updates itself. I know how the base installation of F12 updates as I've been using Linux for around 6 years now. Mostly Debian based distros but still, I'm familiar with Linux.

So my question is:

How does my HDA update? By itself via some downstream link via my control panel?

Or,

Do I need to run something similar to 'yum update' in order to get it to update?

Do I or should I run a backup of my installation prior to any updates?

My first installation borked after an update to F12 so I don't want to have to go through another install and setting everything back up due to an incompatible update. BTW, the errors are posted in the 'paste bin' under my username. ;)

Note: I could have easily asked this in IRC but thought here would be better so others would also be able to know to.
My HDA: Lenovo H210 | Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200, 3GB RAM, 320 GB 7200 rpm HD

~/tmb

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: How does my HDa update?

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:37 am

Hello,

The Amahi specific updates are done automatically. Fedora auto updates are turned off by default, so to do those you will need to execute yum update as root.

As for backup, it's always a good idea to backup before performing any Fedora updates. However, that is a user specific preference. I have had no serious issues with Fedora updates, but occasionally something slips through. All Amahi updates are thoroughly tested before release, so chance of anything going wrong is minmal.

Hope that answers your questions.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

tmb

Re: How does my HDa update?

Postby tmb » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:27 am

Thanks! It sure does. I'll make sure to run an update at least once a week for F12 then. That way, I'm sure to keep that part of the system up to date. 8-)
My HDA: Lenovo H210 | Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200, 3GB RAM, 320 GB 7200 rpm HD

~/tmb