running the hda headless only with webgui interface????

romaincrapule

running the hda headless only with webgui interface????

Postby romaincrapule » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:08 am

hello every one.

I'm new under Amahi HDA, and previously I was running under Freenas. I had to left this NAS system because of hardware uncompatibility :-(((

I'm now trying Amahi, and I was wondering if it's possible to run this OS system headless, and access it only with the http://hda or http://setup (without vnc or other king of remote controler) and also the windwos xp explorer for the shared files.

If not, what is the advantage using a remote controle???

Other question:
I have some problem to understand the way files are shared into the hda.
I know how to create a new folder to be shared, but I don't know on witch part of ths free space it's located???

I explain what I want to do:
I have in my hda, I disk of 30Gb for the OS system, and 2 500Gb disks for the Data. I would like to be able to see those last 2 drives under my windwos explorer as 2 network drives.
Can some one explain me how to do this.

thanks in advance

regards

mciv

Re: running the hda headless only with webgui interface????

Postby mciv » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:20 pm

Welcome romaincrapule.

Yes you can run the HDA headless. It's how mine is setup. If you ever need to do something that you can't through the web interface there is always ssh, vnc or plugging in a monitor.

By default files are stored in /var/hda/files . There are folders for music, photos, etc. From the Shares tab in the web gui you can create shares and then set user permissions. To see the shares in explorer I just use the Add a network location feature.

Hope that helps.

moredruid
Expert

Postby moredruid » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:54 am

You won't be able to see the 2 drives as network drives, it's just not the way Linux is set up to work initially, and Amahi on top is also not designed with this in mind. Don't worry though, we'll get you there :)

The way the shares work is simple: you create a share in the webinterface and that share is created in /var/hda/files.
If your data drives aren't formatted yet you can do so now (choose either ext3 or ext4) with fdisk. LVM is a bit out of reach I think though it offers vastly more flexibility. So let's say you've created 2 shares and your 2 disks are visible to linux (your first drive is /dev/sda so your second drive would be /dev/sdb, and the first partition /dev/sdb1). What you can do now is to mount that drive on the shared folder. This sounds way more complicated than it is:

Code: Select all

root@host# mount /dev/sdb1 /var/hda/files/yoursharename
same goes for your 3rd drive (which would be /dev/sdc).

You'll then need to add a line for each mount point to your /etc/fstab file, e.g.:

Code: Select all

/dev/sdb1 /var/hda/files/yoursharename ext3 defaults 1 2
Note that I added your second drive as ext3, if you've chosen ext4 you'll need to put that in.
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D2173656C7572206968616D41snlbxq' | dc
Galileo - HP Proliant ML110 G6 quad core Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x750GB RAID1 + 2x1TB RAID1 HDD

romaincrapule

Postby romaincrapule » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:20 am

Thanks for the answer Mciv and moredruid:

As I was using previously Freenas, I have to adapt me to a new way of working with Amahi.

I will try to mount the 2 drives an see the result.

I'll keep you up to date.
Regards