Different workgroup names for wired and wireless??

hfxrzw

Different workgroup names for wired and wireless??

Postby hfxrzw » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:08 am

Hi, why is it that my wired computers are on a network called 'Home', but my wireless connected laptop is on 'Workgroup'? HDA is set for DHCP.
My BT modem/router is on 'BT', takes care of the wireless connection to the network, but has DHCP switched off.
Appreciate your advise. Thanks, Rene.

cpg
Administrator

Re: Different workgroup names for wired and wireless??

Postby cpg » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:24 am

"Workgroup" is the default workgroup name in windows, so that may be why your system has it.

we have noticed that in windows 7, the machine tends to try to login to a "domain" (even in workgroup mode, not in domain mode!) which is the name of the computer!

this is really confusing.

you do not specify what clients exactly you are using!

typically, to change the workgroup, you right click on "Computer" -> Properties. There is an area for workgroup/domain or a wizard (in widows 7).

please specify your clients and as much detail as you can.

if you feel this is a bug (it could be, though amahi is generally client-agnostic and would not act differently for different clients), please file it in the bug tracker http://bugs.amahi.org
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

hfxrzw

Re: Different workgroup names for wired and wireless??

Postby hfxrzw » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:01 am

Hi, thanks for that. The computer in the 'workgroup' network is only the Ubuntu laptop, so I conclude that is the computer generating the 'workgroup' network. It is not a Windows machine. But I thought that the server (AMAHI) took care of naming the network? All computers get their IP numbers from the server (DHCP and DNS), so why would one be in a different network? I'll dig further.