SOLVED: Network Connectivity Issues

andylinde

SOLVED: Network Connectivity Issues

Postby andylinde » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:54 pm

Hello,

I've recently finished setting up my HDA. I had previously set it up without issue, and was able to access it via http://hda and the IP. I could also mount shares, install apps, etc. However, for unrelated/unimportant reasons, I had to start over. I went through the entire uninstall process again, and everything ran fine (including connecting to the mirrors/downloading the packages). However, after rebooting as directed, the HDA loses all internet connectivity. I can ping from the HDA to 127.0.0.1 or the HDA's IP, but I cannot ping anything else on the network (including the router) or any public sites. I also cannot access the HDA from any other device on the network (via http, SMB, ping, etc).

I've followed the guide at https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Networ ... leshooting. amahi.org has the correct info (though has a status of "not updating"), my network is super simple, the computer only has 1 NIC, etc. During the initial HDA setup, I did notice that the network settings were defaulting to 192.168.2.*, even though my network is based in the 192.168.0.* range. Since it was getting that IP via DCHP, I figured that was a quirk of running from the live USB drive and would correct itself once downloading the correct IP (which it seems to have done).

How would I troubleshoot this further? How could I correct it?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Network Connectivity Issues

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:22 pm

During the initial HDA setup, I did notice that the network settings were defaulting to 192.168.2.*, even though my network is based in the 192.168.0.* range.
This should be cause for alarm. Might want to investigate.

Recommend you check out Install Troubleshooting page in the wiki. Also take a look at Troubleshooting #Amahi 9 as well.

It sometimes takes 2 or 3 reboots to get the networking going on rare occasions.

If this does not work, recommend you start over. Ensure your router is controlling DHCP and the appropriate address is assigned before continuing with the install.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

andylinde

Postby andylinde » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:47 pm

Welp, I think I've fixed it. I almost don't want to admit how, because I was doing things that I really should know better about and then making assumptions based on it. Buuut, just in case someone's googling this in the future (obligatory XKCD reference)...

Since my router is quite a bit away from my office, I shared the internet from wifi on my computer > ethernet > amahi HDA. I assumed that it was a "dumb pipe" and would just let the HDA and the router figure themselves out. Spoiler: that's not how it works.

Once I lugged a monitor and keyboard to the router, booted the HDA, and did a quick hda-change-gw, everything was fine. Thank you for your help highlighting that the different subnets was weird!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:58 pm

No problem.

Glad you got it sorted out.

Marking this topic as resolved.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2