Feature Request "afp support" (Apple Filing Protocol).

moredruid
Expert

Re: Feature Request "afp support" (Apple Filing Protocol).

Postby moredruid » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:59 am

I found this link about sparsebundles.

maybe this will help?
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D2173656C7572206968616D41snlbxq' | dc
Galileo - HP Proliant ML110 G6 quad core Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x750GB RAID1 + 2x1TB RAID1 HDD

Icey

Postby Icey » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:14 am

Hey,

Yeah im sorry for the dutch pictures in the wiki but i didnt have a clue how to make them english..
But now i found one ... :)
the steps for making the sparsebundle :

-connect to your newly made afp - bonjour server -- in my example called hda xserve on your mac by double clicking it..
-if u made the same setting as me you will find a "your username"-folder and a timemachine-folder
-open disk utility, even when your mac is not english typing disk utility will show your non english name/program..
-Find the mac adress of your ethernet port (not the airport) (btw connecting thru ethernet prefered gigabit would be a good thing to do since the first backup wil take some time ;)
if u dont now how to get ure mac adress finding out the right name for ure sparsebundle is this :

"First open up the Console from your Applications > Utilities folder and open the Time Machine preferences. In Time Machine preferences set your backup volume back to none. After that reselect your mounted Time Machine volume. The counter should start and Time Machine’s big button will change to on. When the backup tries to start and fail have a look at your Console (Click All Messages in the sidepane). There should be a line tellung you the name of the disk image:

Code: Select all

Creating disk image /Volumes/TimeMachine/computername_0014e3856bd0.sparsebundle
The computername should be the name you have assigned to your Mac. Now just click on that line and hit command + C to copy the message."

-Click new image on the toolbar of your disk utility
-change the name of your sparsebundle to the one it needs to be..
-change the disk utility to this picture
-change the size of your sparsebundle and save to Desktop!!!
-Copy the sparsebundle image from desktop to your timamachine.. all should work now ;)

btw. you dont need as much space as the volume size size will increase when timemachine grows, dont forget to make a sparsebundle at least the same size as your mac hdd if u want to be future proof :)

Seems if forgot the part to put atalk and avahi-daemon in the startup sequence so if its not working after a reboot start both serivices, i will edit it in the wiki later this week

You can allways check this post where i got it originally for more info ;)

http://www.kremalicious.com/2008/06/ubu ... #netatalk2
-starts at N°6

Hope this made ure timemachine work otherwise you can find me here

grtz
atom 330 MSI IM-945GC IDE 160GB SATA2 1500GB+1500GB+1000GB+500GB hot-swap

Icey

Postby Icey » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:16 am

I found this link about sparsebundles.

maybe this will help?
didnt see your post :) that would work aswell :)
atom 330 MSI IM-945GC IDE 160GB SATA2 1500GB+1500GB+1000GB+500GB hot-swap

amahivirtual

Postby amahivirtual » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:14 am

Hi there,

Sorry for grabbing out this rather old thread, but the subject seems still of some interest in 2011. I and probably some more Amahi fellows still share the pain of missing afp/Time Machine integration in Amahi. However, I started a thread on possibilities to overcome this limitation with a crowd financing suggestion. Perhaps you may want to share your point of views on this http://forums.amahi.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3065?

Best regards,
amahivirtual