Adding an updates download accelerator (like IPCop)

warrenlm

Adding an updates download accelerator (like IPCop)

Postby warrenlm » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:22 pm

I have used IPCop, an opensource freeware linux-based Router-Software-Appliance, for several years.

There are several supported addons, to enhance the SQUID proxy server and my favourites are Advanced-Proxy and UpdateXlrator which together can capture any WindowsUpdates, Linux Updates, Adobe and/or Apple updates in a dedicated cache.

When one networked Windows, Linux or iMac machine downloads their latest updates for the first time, any other machines can transparrently download copies of those same updates at full 100Mbps or 1Gbps LAN-speeds, instead of broadband-only 8mbps speeds.

Goto http://www.advproxy.net/ to see the explainations and user manuals.

Unfortunately, currently these IPCop-Addons only seem to work with IPCop (and Smoothwall), but if someone could write an AMAHI application which did the same thing that would be awesome !

Currently, I have a Windows Server hosting a copy of VMWare-Server, running a VMWare version of the IPCop-Appliance acting as my home-network's default gateway (which then connects to my actual Broadband-router_ADSL-Modem combo), with a VMWare AMAHI server acting as the main DHCP+DNS server for the vest of my home network.

If we could have an IPCop-like AdvProxy+UpdateXlrator package available as an AMAHI-App, then I could get rid of Windows-Server and VMWare-Server and install a single Super-AMAHI setup on the bare bachine, instead of as a collection of competing VMWare Appliance emulations.

I'm not a Linux expert (or even a Linux Newbie) myself, being brought up on W/Intel's so I don't even know if this is even remotely possible.

Icey

Re: Adding an updates download accelerator (like IPCop)

Postby Icey » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:57 pm

Using the VMware ipcop appliance on your amahi homeserver would make an easyer setup allready... Loose the windows server :p
Vmware is not hard to install at all and plenty of info to find ;)

There seem to be several web caching packages for fedora, squid looking the best so far..
ill check it out and post results

nice tutorial for web caching proxy server with squid

http://fosswire.com/post/2008/1/set-up- ... ith-squid/
atom 330 MSI IM-945GC IDE 160GB SATA2 1500GB+1500GB+1000GB+500GB hot-swap