CLOSED: Emergency Mode with external HDD

ampned

CLOSED: Emergency Mode with external HDD

Postby ampned » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:36 am

Hi all,

I found out something that I thought worth sharing (maybe you guys can make sense of it);
Yesterday I was playing with moving the server to a new router since I got one from my new ISP (recently moved) and can't use my own router any more. Needed to pull the plugs, put them back in and I quickly noticed; no signal of the server found in the router.

After hooking up the server to an external monitor and a keyboard I found out the (Fedora) server went into Emergency Mode, with even root locked (?) so basically I bricked it until further notice (yes that's what happens if you pull the power :lol: ) Messing around a bit, I also noticed my external HDD went powerless. This external HDD is mainly used for downloading, storage of files but no system critical stuff.
So I decided to power it up again, hook it to my Amahi server and then reboot the Amahi server. Suprise; the system was up and running again!

So how can this happen? Losing my external HDD would mean losing my server installation as well? Again; this external HDD is only used for downloading and storage, and is used by programs such as transmission/couchpotato/sickbeard/sabnzbd.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Emergency Mode with external HDD

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:53 pm

No the wiki external hard drive would not contain the OS or #Amahi.

Did you have this drive permanently mounted? If so then that's the reason for the failed start up. Correcting that allowed the HDA to start normal.

Will mark as closed since there is no action required.

BTW this is not the right topic area for such a post. Will move it to the appropriate area.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2