unattended install to servers without monitor

agegbg

unattended install to servers without monitor

Postby agegbg » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:33 am

I think this is one of the things that a lots of people asking for.

I have a Scaleo Home server and i'm willing to pay money for an unattended install of Amahi to that server.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: unattended install to servers without monitor

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:03 am

I have not seen too many requests myself. Not sure the install can be completely unattended currently as there needs to be interaction to provide the install code. We might be able to adapt though in the future.

Can you describe your requirement a bit more in depth? Interpretation of unattended install can take on different context depending on who you discuss it with.

We might be able to provide the service once we understand the requirement. It would be a good option for users and help generate some revenue for Amahi to keep things moving forward.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

QuadeHale

Re: unattended install to servers without monitor

Postby QuadeHale » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:35 am

This could be achieved if you preloaded everything on to a USB stick and amahi auto-installed somehow.

There are a large number of Acer WHS units that have come in to the local computer shop I occasion (excess of 6 lying around) that have 4 bays and are ideal Amahi machines - but they can at least take a low-profile video card to get them set up, then they work wonderfully past that point. Does the Scaleo machine have at least one expansion bay and a spot for keyboard/mouse?

Another thing you could theoretically do (I haven't tried yet) is just install Amahi on a hard drive in any 'ol system, make sure you have VNC installed, and then when it's up and running, drop it in to the Scaleo machine. Ubuntu (well, linux in general) in my experience doesn't flinch and freak out at new hardware like windows does, so it should just "work" right off the bat, unless there's some odd hardware in your existing server.

Just some thoughts.