MKV Conversion App

snakey147

MKV Conversion App

Postby snakey147 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:51 am

Hi,

I'm very new to Amahi, and very impressed so far. I've bought and installed the DLNA server which is working perfectly with my PS3. As the PS3 doesn't support MKV files, I tend to convert them before watching and have previously used MKV2VOB for this task on my Windows laptop. Having got Amahi set up, I wanted to do the conversion on the HDA rather than using my laptop - I came across a handy utility to do this here

This all works great, but I was wondering how simple it might be to make an App out of this for Amahi? Currently it's a manual process to kick off the conversion, it would be brilliant to have a specific share where I could dump the mkv file and have it converted automatically for example.

I don't know how easy that might be, and I doubt I'm capable of it myself so I'd appreciate any feedback. Others might find the link above useful anyway if you want to convert your mkv files on your HDA manually rather than transcoding on the fly.

cheers

Snakey
HP Proliant Microserver running ESXi 5.0 with Amahi 6.2 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

bigmango

Re: MKV Conversion App

Postby bigmango » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:34 am

Yes this can be done easily. You setup a cron job to check your share folder and automatically run your script on the files and save the output to another folder, then move the original files if you want to keep them or delete them.

snakey147

Re: MKV Conversion App

Postby snakey147 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:00 pm

Thanks for the reply - I'm looking to get Transmission set up next, it looks like there are instructions on setting up a cron job for that in the Wiki so once i've completed that I should be able to automate the script in the same way.

Amahi Rocks!
HP Proliant Microserver running ESXi 5.0 with Amahi 6.2 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.