CLOSED: Plex Media Server

nalleju

Re: Plex Media Server

Postby nalleju » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:25 pm

Have it up and running on a Ubuntu test platform, installed in 5 min from the notes on there page. :)
On ubuntu there is some odd things to take care of before you can run it. It took me some houres to fix.

Also put it on de HDA and eaven easier than Ubuntu to install. :D

I will put it on Amahi too when fully tested on my test rig. Its mainly for the kids I need it. :roll:

inquam

Postby inquam » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:01 am

Ciao inquam,
sorry not to be clear enough but after the last restart everything was working as aspected, I mean I can do everything from amahi hda page without use script!

Just to let you know, I've did a big test sunday, I mean I've try to stream on all my machine different movie (hd, sd, avi, mkw, mp4) trough wi fi, ethernet and 3g to my imac, macbook pro, ipad and iphone in the same time without any trouble!

Only one question: do you need I remove the stuff I installed and pms and than install it to see if the new package work as aspected?
You could do that yes.

Since nothing has changed to the application part of the package, only changes to install script, you can avoid having to rescan your library and resinstall all your installed plugins you could do the following
  • cp -rp /var/hda/web-apps/pms /var/hda/web-apps/pms.backup
  • Uninstall Plex Media Server
  • Reinstall Plex Media Server
  • Try it out to see that it's working fine
When your done testing you can restore your original installation by doing the following
  • Stop Plex Media Server (and disable watchdog)
  • rm -rf /var/hda/web-apps/pms
  • cp -rp /var/hda/web-apps/pms.backup /var/hda/web-apps/pms
  • rm -rf /var/hda/web-apps/pms.backup
  • Reenable Watchdog
  • Start Plex Media Server
Now you should be back to your original installation.
Last edited by inquam on Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
My HDA: Q6400, 8GB ram, 2x1TB disk in raid 1 for system drive, 6x2TB drives for storage

inquam

Postby inquam » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:03 am

Have it up and running on a Ubuntu test platform, installed in 5 min from the notes on there page. :)
On ubuntu there is some odd things to take care of before you can run it. It took me some houres to fix.

Also put it on de HDA and eaven easier than Ubuntu to install. :D

I will put it on Amahi too when fully tested on my test rig. Its mainly for the kids I need it. :roll:
Did you manually install it on HDA or via 1-click application package?
My HDA: Q6400, 8GB ram, 2x1TB disk in raid 1 for system drive, 6x2TB drives for storage

nalleju

Postby nalleju » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:34 pm

Installed on HDA for the test the traditional hard way, not the 1-click.

thejekocomputer

Postby thejekocomputer » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:38 am

I give a try following your instruction and everything goes well.

I went in trouble when I've try install it after remove libstdc++-4.5.1-4.fc14.i686 and glibc.i686 to see if the one click install was working with tne base install of amahi HDA express cd.

reinstall them (libstdc++-4.5.1-4.fc14.i686 and glibc.i686) everything was OK.

inquam

Postby inquam » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:55 am

I give a try following your instruction and everything goes well.

I went in trouble when I've try install it after remove libstdc++-4.5.1-4.fc14.i686 and glibc.i686 to see if the one click install was working with tne base install of amahi HDA express cd.

reinstall them (libstdc++-4.5.1-4.fc14.i686 and glibc.i686) everything was OK.
Thanx, I will add them to the dependencies so they are automaticly installed if missing.

Edit: strange. I saw that the dependencies were already there. I added so that both the platfrom specific and the i686 version is installed now. Since the binary comes precompiled it is probably compiled against the i686 versions.

thehub

Postby thehub » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:12 pm

Was wondering if theres any idea of how long till this is released generally, as looking at moving our multi room media system away from xbmc and towards plex but would rather keep amahi running as our server as i finally have it setup how i want it rather than thinking about moving towards a stand alone plex server on ubuntu.
Ross

inquam

Postby inquam » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:45 am

Was wondering if theres any idea of how long till this is released generally, as looking at moving our multi room media system away from xbmc and towards plex but would rather keep amahi running as our server as i finally have it setup how i want it rather than thinking about moving towards a stand alone plex server on ubuntu.
Alpha testing is nearing it's end and I have asked Amahi crew to look at the app to see if it's ready fro release.

nalleju

Postby nalleju » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:56 pm

Plex is a spinoff from XBMC after the split of the team.
XBMC is the besty frontend for Win and Lin.

nalleju

Postby nalleju » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:04 pm

Did a installation test today and got it up and running.
Some small issues with 32 bit pacs on 64 bit machine but easy to solv.

There is some work still befor going full out with Plex but could quickly be turning beta.
The issues are trivial and can be addressed my simple addon installas.

I wont to address my thanks for a good project to inquam, keep on coding. :D