DHCP server configuration after install

koffie

DHCP server configuration after install

Postby koffie » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:51 pm

I have been using AMAHI for over a year and I am very satisfied with it as it is. Many thanks for all your efforts.

However, recently I decided to upgrade to a new router for n-wifi. I wanted to put the HOME network in a new subnet because I can't get rid of the modem/router from my provider, which I wanted to leave as is.

I wanted to change the DHCP server settings subnet of the HDA to 192.168.1.x to 192.168.0.x. I was assuming this would be an easy thing, which in my router can be changed easily. I quickly learned that this is really not possible/easy at all, as is mentioned in the FAQ, for instance.

But.. AMAHI asks the DHCP control over the network to function properly. I really feel it would be user friendly if you could set your DHCP subnet settings in a similar manner as is done in a router, also AFTER installation.

I can work arount this in my case by changing the provider modem/router, but I was just surprised that this network setting was not possible.

Sorry to utter this very minor criticism at a time where everyone is working hard for getting AMAHI 6 out. I am eagerly awaiting this release.

With kind regards
Koffie

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: DHCP server configuration after install

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:27 pm

You can change the setting on your HDA easily. As root user in terminal, do:

hda-change-gw 192.168.0.1

It will adjust everything required. I recently upgraded routers and went from 0.1 to 2.1 and this did it all.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

koffie

Postby koffie » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:12 am

That's great!

It could then easily be implemented in the Dashboard? For less CLI-savvy folks?

I actually read your earlier post on changing the gateway IP. I didn't understand that this also adjusted the subnet. I take it that the default subnetmask is used (255.255.255.0)? Preferably the gateway, subnet range, subnet mask, etc. would all be adjustable from the Dashboard, if needed behind an 'Advanced Settings' tab and a warning.

Thanks again for your reply.
Regards
Koffie

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:48 am

Yes it probably could be incorporated. Please file a feature request at bugs dot amahi dot org.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2