a little more control over dns?

lou1z

a little more control over dns?

Postby lou1z » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:00 pm

i love my amahi but i have other devices on the network and multiple networks.
i want to put a few slave zones in amahi and allow updates to my windows AD.
could we have an option to stop amahi wiping the dns? i put zones in & come back a week later to find them gone.

rgmhtt

Re: a little more control over dns?

Postby rgmhtt » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:20 pm

I will be working on this over the next couple weeks, once I get a test Amahi 6 running so I know what I need to work with...

lou1z

Postby lou1z » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:06 am

great! amahi is great but it would be better if you could have a bit little more advanced control over it if needed eg by disabling certain parts.
i suppose the get out clause could be "no support if you untick this option!" in an advanced panel (hidden by default?)
eg allow zone transfers etc

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:33 am

I can do the design and some of the work, but none of the programming. If you have Ruby skills, we can use the help...

lou1z

Postby lou1z » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:35 am

unfortunetely, i can't. my programming days are over after it nearly cost me my marriage. i'm one of those peeps that get so engrossed into things, everything else falls to the wayside and i start living and breathing code. i daren't pick it up again. scripting every now and then is my limit now.

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:40 pm

Then please look at the hdactl script and see how the DNS and DHCP files are built. I want to add some more variables to the settings table to have better control over the configuration.

For starters we can just go with defaults. Oh those are loaded by the install scripts.

:P