CLOSED: Amahi Energy Saver

jayrock

Re: Amahi Energy Saver

Postby jayrock » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:53 am

It is the "official" one now 8-)
Last edited by jayrock on Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

jayrock

New version of Amahi Energy Saver and AES Windows Client!

Postby jayrock » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:45 pm

Hi,

Amahi Energy Saver version 0.3.7 is available on Google Code. In terms of functionality it is a minor update. Note that this version requires Fedora 14. It will most probably run with Fedora 12 but I haven't tested it.

There is also a new version of the Windows Client with very small improvements.

Amahi Energy Saver 0.3.7
============================
- Calendar will now be created automatically if ical is turned on
- Install and daemon scripts improved
- Clean up of unnecessary files

AES Windows Client 0.9.0.68
- Installation dialog updated
- New icons in symbol bar

Enjoy,

jayrock

lapinoid

Postby lapinoid » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:55 pm

Thanks! You may sleep well, knowing that you save a lot of energy for a lighter footprint!

pjcrux

Postby pjcrux » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:06 pm

Here I was all ready to vote for the redo of version 1 and 4!

lol thanks for your efforts!
Community Advocate
HP Proliant Micro Server N40L, AMD Turion II Neo x2 1.5GHz;
8GB ECC-DDR3; 250GB for OS, 3x1TB.

"Experience has taught mankind the necessity of auxiliary precautions"
-James Madison, Federalist Paper No. 51

jayrock

Postby jayrock » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:04 pm

Just a quick update, things are progressing nicely. I now added a function that will track the times when the HDA is turned on/off, and calculates the Energy consumption / savings.

Power consumption when suspended and powered on are configurable. I used 4.5W and 50W, respectively.

There is a slight inaccuracy in the calculations, as the current session is not considered. Savings are show compared to a machine that's running 24/7.

Code: Select all

root$ ./aes.rb --showenergybalance Total uptime: 106:20 h Total standby time : 119:12 h Total power consumption: 5.793 kWh Power savings [kWh]: 5.483 kWh
Stay tuned!

/jayrock

Strangename

Postby Strangename » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:48 pm

I am both grateful and impressed with this project and just wanted to say a personal Thank You. I haven't yet installed your app as my server is currently shutdown but as soon as I find a little time it will be the first thing I do and naturally I will post feedback.

Once again thank you for the time you have spent on this.

jayrock

Postby jayrock » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:21 am

Hi,

Amahi Energy Saver version 0.4.0 is available on Google Code. Note that this version requires Fedora 14. It will most probably run with Fedora 12 but I haven't tested it.

Amahi Energy Saver 0.4.0
- Tracking and display of energy consumption and savings added
- Improved handling of configuration file in case of upgrade

One feature is added in this version. It is now possible to view the energy savings in kWh due to the use of Amahi Energy Saver. Run the following in a terminal as root to display the actual consumption and savings:

./aes --showenergybalance
In order to show correct figures you have to tell Amahi Energy Saver the average power consumption when working ("pc_on") and powered off/standby ("pc_standby"). Values given in Watts. pc_on must be greater than pc_standby. To do so, run as root:

./aes --setpowerconsumption pc_on pc_standby
Enjoy,

jayrock

rjwaldren

Postby rjwaldren » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:43 pm

Nice work, jayrock. On FreeNAS, I spent some time setting up a script to run on a linux router it would watch the LAN and power the NAS on/off depending on client status. The main weakness was that FreeNAS has very poor ACPI support so I couldn't use sleep reliably and had to shoe horn it in to have it work at all. I've been looking and waiting on a few Linux based replacements, and I 've been VM testing various scenarios in amahi for some time now.

I just upgraded my router and have been getting it customized - I went ahead and simplfied/rewrote the router script to only perform wake actions on the NAS based on client/remote connection status. I plan on leaving the sleep functions up to your solution. In the other setup, there were few questions, if no lan clients were up or no port forwards were active, I could be sure that FreeNAS was idle. With Amahi (especially with greyhole) there's a good chance the server may be working on something regardless client status so we can't just shut it off. Hopefully I can drop Amahi onto real hardware this W/E and do away with FreeNAS for good. I'm looking forward to the wol to usable in 8sec versus the 2min it currently takes to boot FreeNAS.

The long and short of it - Thanks for the effort.
Amahi 6.1 x86_64 ExpressCD - Intel D510MO, 2GB, Promise TX300
1x 500GB 2.5" WD Black (OS and LZ). Pool: 1x 1.5TB Samsung F2, 1x 1.5TB Samsung F3, 1x 2TB Samsung F4EG
Apps: uShare, uTorrent, Amahi Energy Saver

jayrock

Postby jayrock » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:38 pm

Thanks for the feedback, rjwaldren!

I'm using S3 suspend myself, and though I haven't measured the time it takes for the HDA to wake, I'd say it's more or less instantly, definitely less than 8 seconds. With S4 it needs about 20 seconds, that's however related on RAM size which needs to be read back from HDD. I have 4 GB which is fairly large, and I don't have the fastest HDDs. Play around with it and let us know your findings!

/jayrock

rjwaldren

Postby rjwaldren » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:18 pm

When I say ~8 seconds that includes the time it takes for my router to detect a change on the network and issue the WOL command to the server + the time til the shares are available for use. I haven't put amahi on that box yet, but reflects my testing using a minimal Debian install. So from S3 to usable the shares are available in less time than it takes my Win7 desktop to resume from S3 and get an IP - and well before login is complete.

With FreeNAS, which officially only supports Shutdown/Full Boot, that number was about 90sec. My router will also wake the unit upon remote VPN connection so S3 wake times are awesome. This shows a "gimme now!" attitude on my part but it also eliminates sitting around wondering it it's working at all. It also ensures that my shares are available before my MythTV box tries to mount them and my MFC Laser whose power is controlled by the NAS I online for a quick print and go.
Amahi 6.1 x86_64 ExpressCD - Intel D510MO, 2GB, Promise TX300
1x 500GB 2.5" WD Black (OS and LZ). Pool: 1x 1.5TB Samsung F2, 1x 1.5TB Samsung F3, 1x 2TB Samsung F4EG
Apps: uShare, uTorrent, Amahi Energy Saver