CLOSED: Amahi Energy Saver

derMerl

Re: Amahi Energy Saver

Postby derMerl » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:50 am

awesome! great work!
A automatic suspend app is the last key feature I've missed for my HDA!
I don't have much time at the moment but if i find some free time maybe i'll be able to test it.

Thank you much!
Intel Core i3(undervolted) :: MSI H55E33 :: 3GB DDR3 :: DVB-S2 Card
SystemHDD: 160GB (2,5") :: GreyholePool: 2x Samsung EcoGreen 2TB + Samsung EcoGreen 1TB + WD Green 1TB
Total power consumption: ~ 34W (GreyholePool standby) | 52W (GreyholePool running)

jayrock

Postby jayrock » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:38 am

Thanks, I hope it's useful. Note that it is in alpha state, it's good enough for testing. Please report amy bugs you find. Cheers, jayrock

jayrock

Postby jayrock » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:38 am

Hello,

I'm about to release a new version, hopefully before the end of the year. This should have similar functionality as the current one but is completely rewritten and cleaned up. I would like to include any experiences that have been made with the current version, so please let me know how it worked.

Currently I'm having trouble using ACPI power management. I'm uncertain whether it's due to my HW (Gigabyte H55N-USB3), Fedora 12 or s.th. else. Are there volunteers who would like to test s.th. for me? All you need to do is run the following commands and tell me what the effect or console output is. Be careful, your machine is supposed to turn off or suspend with 'poweroff' and any of the 'echo' commands

Code: Select all

cat /proc/acpi/sleep cat /sys/power/state poweroff echo 1 > /proc/acpi/sleep echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep echo 4 > /proc/acpi/sleep echo mem > /sys/power/state echo disk > /sys/power/state
Thanks for your support,

jayrock

jayrock

Postby jayrock » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:03 pm

Version 0.3.1 available: http://code.google.com/p/amahienergysav ... z&can=2&q=

Happy testing,

jayrock

jammastercd

Postby jammastercd » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:46 am

I love the idea of an energy saving app for Amahi. As much as I enjoy my HDA, I'm bothered that much of the time it sits idly while using power. Having it suspend and wake automatically would be great!

I'm a relative noob to Linux, so I'm not sure I'll be as successful getting it installed correctly, but I did find the wiki for it. I hope to give it a try in the next few days.

Once it's fairly stable, I would say this is a perfect candidate for a one-click installation app!

jayrock

Postby jayrock » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:06 pm

Hi jammastercd,

to install you only need to open a terminal and fire a few commands, I hope it's fairly easy.

Regarding stability, I have it running on my machine since two week without problems. Of course there are small improvements still pending, so there will for sure be more releases, but I don't foresee fundamental changes.

What's missing is testing by more users, so I would be really glad if you could give it a shot.

Cheers

jayrock

TMDolphin

Postby TMDolphin » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:18 pm

Hi there,
thank you jayrock for youre great work. I used "lightsout" for a windows home server, so i think aes is a great app for people who don't wanna run 24/7...
My problems at the moment are, that the server didn't wake up, when it was shut down. First i wanted to have a look at the shutdowntype.. I read somethink about the shutdowntype. It's a pitty but when i try to set it with aes.rb its not there...
was it removed?
greetz TMD

jayrock

Postby jayrock » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:28 pm

TMDolphin,

thanks for testing. Just tonight I discovered an issue with calculation of the next wakeup time, which I'm working on right now. During the weekend I plan to release the corrected version.

As with LightsOut, suspend and wake up are dependent on BIOS settings - did LightsOut work on the same machine previously?

/jayrock

TMDolphin

Postby TMDolphin » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:01 am

Hi,
new version? sounds great :D
Lights worked (somehow) well, but i had serious issues waking up the machine, but that was an issue with the ati-catalysm driver stuff. PowerOff works well, so when a client is connected, the machine doesn't power off. At the moment i'm busy in job, but i think i need to check wol in general, before going on youre nerves ;)

jayrock

Postby jayrock » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:14 am

Hi TMDolpihn

can you check this in a root terminal

echo 0 > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm echo `date '+%s' -d '+ 5 minutes'` > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm poweroff
This should shut down your machine and wake it again 5 minutes later.

Also, can you check this: echo 0 > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm echo `date '+%s' -d '+ 5 minutes'` > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm echo 3 >/proc/acpi/sleep
This should send your machine to suspend and wake it up after 5 minutes.

Let me know if it works.

Thnx,

jayrock