Amahi monitoring via email

rgmhtt

Amahi monitoring via email

Postby rgmhtt » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:14 am

Amahi has some automatic monitoring going on via anacron and cron. These send email so 'root' (or are suppose to), plus there is additional monitoring that can and should be done and emailed to the admin.

Option 1: Install Squirrelmail to allow remote reading of root's mail folder.

Option 2: at install time:

creat /root/.forward with email installer's email addr (picked up from Amahi.org account?). Note most users would NOT want there reports going to foo@gmial.com or bar @yahoo.com!

start sendmail and set chkconfig for it to always run.

install logwatch

All the hourly emails could be a pain and it would be nice if there was a way to get just a daily digest of the hourly missives.

Please comment on this before I submit this as a bug/feature.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Amahi monitoring via email

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:05 am

Another option is to install usermin. I have packaged it and you can use it to read email as well.

This would be a nice feature for Amahi with the ability to turn it off or on depending on the user needs. Some won't care about reading logs.

For now, we need to make sure its documented in the wiki. This will at least provide users an option. I would go ahead and submit it. It can be added to the list of features to consider for Amahi 6.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:50 am

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:34 am

Thanks again. I think maybe we need to make a single page about mail services and link all these pages together. I will see what I can come up with.

Please feel free to add your experience to the wiki. This will be helpful to many users and especially myself :)
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2