Green computing?

hfl

Re: Green computing?

Postby hfl » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:47 am

Thank you very much for offering help. I will open a new entry under installation issues.

jayrock

Postby jayrock » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:56 am

Hi,

I don't find your new post, can you link it?

In the meantime I noticed that I missed one important part about installing the script, and I updated the post accordingly: http://forums.amahi.org/viewtopic.php?p=11679#p11679

Cheers,

jayrock

hfl

Problem resolved - thanks.

Postby hfl » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:55 pm

Sorry, I only can work on my configuration every weekend. And unfortunately more constraints: space. I have to use my HDA as a headless server (no monitor, display, mouse). Therefore I had accessed the server via the command line in Webmin.

When troubleshooting today I connected the monitor. Again trying hdparm - but this time from the Terminal - resulted in the message "no permission" (although I was logged on as "su").

Then I discovered the System / Preferences / Power Management Preferences (default = off). Once I selected there [] "Spin down hard disk when possible", hdparm -Sxxx worked.

So my wish/suggestion stays for being able to manage about idle disks as a user from the Amahi HDA Storage Settings, rather than having as "system admin" do preference settings, /etc/rc.d/rc.local and chmod -x) to enable/make this permanent on the server.

I also came across the Fedeora 14 Power Management Guide (some contents of earlier posts come from there) and again it would be nice if appropriate settings were made "accessible" for a user under the Amahi HDA settings, e.g. perhaps in a section under Global Settings?

jayrock

Postby jayrock » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:13 am

Hi hfl,

fully support your wish, I have the same. But I don't have the competence to do it myself, maybe someone from the devel team can help us to make this part of the Amahi dashboard.

Cheers

jayrock

kevmorris

Postby kevmorris » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:38 am

Hi,

I am interested in using something that saves power but i have absolutely no linux knowledge whatsoever, so adding it to the dashboard gets a big thumbs up from me.

jayrock

Postby jayrock » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:36 pm

Hi hfl,

I wrote a short Wiki article how to set up WOL: http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Enabling_WOL

/jayrock

hfl

Postby hfl » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:41 pm

Thanks. WOL is not quite what I want because I understand it requires this magic packet for waking up. A use case being that a system wakes up a remote server via magic packet, runs a backup, then puts the the remote server back to sleep.

I would like that the HDA wakes up if there is a DHCP request, or a request to the file share, or to the web server. I wonder if this is wake on S3 (suspend to RAM) but do not know how to configure that. The BIOS is set as follows:

Wake on LAN from S5 = Power ON
ACPI Suspend State = S3

It works to suspend/resume the HDA from the power bottom, but not from LAN? Any thoughts?

hfl

Postby hfl » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:24 pm

Code: Select all

# ethtool eth0 ... Supports wake-on: pumbg Wake-on: g ...
because "g" was set I wondered why the heck it was not working?
After some time I discovered in the line above "pumbg":

Code: Select all

p = wake on physical activity u = wake on unicast messages m = wake on multicast messages b = wake on broadcast messages g = Wake on MagicPacket d = disable
So what I wanted was "#ethtool -s eth0 wol u" and here it goes, the HDA wakes up on ping, web, ...
[settings to be saved somewhere, e.g. /etc/rc.d/rc.local]

OK, so eventually I found it but this is not user friendly. After this excursion I think it was nice if Amahi offered 3 choices from its setup menu:

1) HDA running in a home environment. Most of the time nobody's using the PC, i.e. file share or web applications. For this profile offer a suspend after <time>, and set resume on unicast messages

2) HDA runs in a business environment, 24/7 and external access. For this profile offer to select for each disk <time> to spin down. This would allow to organize content in a way that reference/archive is on stand-by only.

3) Any additional system power saving features

Note: 1, 2, and 3 are not exclusive but can get combined

hfl

Postby hfl » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:56 am

I would like to add that the settings work only once. They are lost on Resume. rc.local seems to be executed only at Startup only.

For Resume, the NIC configuration settings would need to be set differently (google ETHTOOLS_OPT="wol ...") but there seems to be a bug in older versions of linux not taking this in account, i.e. am waiting even more for Fedora 14.

In the meantime perhaps there is a way to put the command in a script that is called for Suspend?

jayrock

Postby jayrock » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:52 am

I've updated the script for spinning down HDDs after some idle time. See page 2, 6th post.

/jayrock